• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Top 10 hottest peppers - Help needed

There are so many variations, one hit wonders, and crosses out there, many unstable. Although maybe an unpopular idea, I would suggest going with the 10 hottest land races and/or heirlooms...for example Trinidad 7pot, Trinidad (7pot) Douglah, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia (or whichever name you want to use), Fatalii, etc, etc.

I dont know but judys brown moruga is the hottest to me. Its just brutal. I also grew an off pheno 7 pot bbg plant without a bleeding calyx that had the most brutal peppers. They burnt for like a half an hour. Insane heat. 

I would make sure to toss in at least one yellow or peach, maybe even a white too. Its gonna make your powder collection look more appealing, even if you don't have the actual 10 hottest peppers. Maybe try yellow brainstrain, and w strain white ghost, jpgs. Then you could probably trick people into trying some too!

Walchit said:
When you think your dying you start to question things huh?
I couldn't focus and the capsaicin high was more intense than it's been before. I'm glad I had a tall glass of chocolate milk before I ate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659ckb5SM6U&t=184s

These are some of the hottest peppers i grow.  The last video is the 5 way cross.  I have a chocolate, green and red colors of it.  Honestly the 4 way cross with the wrecking ball i grow is the hottest pepper iv'e ever tried.  

Update after an year, here is the picture of my top 10 hottest peppers (subjective).

- Carolina reaper
- Trinidad moruga Scorpion
- Trinidad moruga scorpion "butch t"
- 7 pot primo
- 7 pot douglah
- Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion
- Ghost pepper
- Naga viper
- Infinity pepper
- Red savina habanero

I grew 9 of them this year.
Couldn't get the douglah seeds that I have to sprout. Will try them next year.

This goes on the office room wall and I call it..

The Rack Of Pain.

2zQjenc.jpg

Very Nice top 10 project and a nice display. 
Here's one to check out.  I grew Defko in 2020 .... it lit me up. It was a face melter for me and everyone that got my pods.  Top 3 for me.  

Scientifically:
Point is, it is more or less subjective when a pepper has not been tested. I am not sure if the data on the reaper is actually true since the average and outlier are so far off. So if anyone can refer to the data spreadsheet that would be cool that Guinness (for the Carolina Reaper) uses as their foundation then that would be great. However, the well established university of new mexico: provided a detailed paper here:

where they use basic to advanced statistics and provide a reference point for scoville heat units:
So according to them the Moruga Scorpion should be the hottest from their p.o.v.
Guinness (2017) points out the Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper is the hottest with 1.6 shu and 2.2 shu in their mean and max respectively.

So depending who you ask with what background, you might get different answers all year around. Regarding this topic, asking the Expected value or mean value of SHU the clear winner would be the Carolina Reaper or Moruga Scorpion depending which scientific result compels you more. But as I said, I could not find data or an scientific paper regarding the testing of the Carolina Reaper that Guinness uses. So that is up to you which you find more true.

Subjectively,
Heat is subjective one might say the Carolina Reaper is the hottest while someone else says the habanero is the hottest. Depending on their field of knowledge and what peppers they eaten before might tell you a lot about the value of their information. My mother said the Jalapeno is the hottest pepper because she never had anything hotter than a Jalapeno, you see? So I would say look at the videos of Chiliheads,
Johnny Scoville is very good for information considering this guy ate more peppers than most chili heads in their life time?
What was it? 6 or 7 seasons with hunderds of dedicated pepper eating videos? Everytime increasing his tolerance to new varieties grown by different growers to get more or less a more well balanced view over different years? I think he said and most other people said there are idk how many peppers hotter than the carolina reaper just not tested. Hence there could be finite many peppers that are hotter than the record holder and hence your top ten list could be with subjectively rated peppers that are unknown in scoville heat units. However I think it is interesting to point out the hottest from a long list of videos that I watched ranging from [Ted Barrus, Bill Moore, Johhny Scoville, Chili Beast, ThePineAppler,Nate Infernis]
According to tedbarrus:
- 1. Oregon Venom Type 1
- 1. Chocolate Bhutlah x BBG 7 Pot
- 2. 7 pot lava brown
- 3. Chocolate Bhutlah SM or DM
source: ted barrus tumblr

Bill Moore
- Butch Taylor x Reaper aka BTR
source pod reviews 2016

Johnny Scoville
- Primotalii
-Choc Primotalii
-Lousiana Creeper
-some pod from his dedicated growers. (unknown cross) ( I think Thomas Spillane Grew it, iirc)

Chili Beast
iirc
- Chocolate Bhutlah DM
- Oregon Venom Type 1

So here you can argue who has the best information. But I think Johnny Scoville has considering his long and vast experience, as well as being most up to date. He has eaten many Chocolate Bhutlahs, Reapers, Primos, new crosses not eaten by all of these other reviewers, but he has so he has the largest scope. Hence I think his information is the most correct.
So your list would be or should be containing any of these.

The most interesting part is also that different peppers also burn different, once you go chocolate, you never recover.

Bro, sometimes what you are seeing is the same pepper under a different name, it happened in the cannabis world for eons. A grower grows, something out and renames it to whatever he or she wants.

IE: grand daddy purple, purple erkel, what ever you want to call it, sometimes its the same thing.

Back