• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Top 5 Peppers: HEAT vs. FLAVOR

Alright. I know that there is already a "Top 5 Favorite Pepper" thread in this section. But this one is a little bit different. I'm not just looking for a Top 5 overall. I'm looking for a list of the hottest peppers you've tried, as well as another list for the most flavorful. I am very interested in learning which peppers board members think are the hottest, which ones they think have the best flavor, and if there is any overlap between the two.

I'm still pretty green when it comes to pepper knowledge, and I know THP has a lot of knowledgeable members. So I am very interested in hearing your responses here. Any input is much appreciated.

TOP 5 HOTTEST PEPPERS YOU'VE TRIED:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

TOP 5 BEST TASTING PEPPERS YOU'VE TRIED:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

1.) Trinidad Scorpion (Butch T)
2.) Red Brain Strain
3.) 7 Pot Brown
4.) Naga Morich - Ones I grew this year
5.) Jay's Ghost Scorpion

1.) Yellow Ghost
2.) Naga Morich
3.) Mystery Chocolate/Wine I grew
4.) Lemon Drop
5.) Orange Thai

Hottest:
  • Brainstrain
  • Butch T
  • Barrackpore
  • SB7J
  • Red Scorpion
Tastiest:
  • Brainstrain
  • SB7J
  • Aji Limon
  • Chocolate Habanero
  • Yellow 7 pot

Hottest:

1) A cross from Silver Surfer. It was a Seven Pot SR strain crossed with a douglah. Trippiest burn I've ever had.
2) 7 Pot Brown
3) Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
4) Seven Pot Brain Strain
5) Seven Pot Savannah Long

Best tasting:

1) Fatalii
2) Chocolate Habanero
3) Chocolate Scorpion
4) Peach Habanero
tie 5) 7 Pot Orange - Naga Morich

Burn:

1) Butch T - Mississippi Strain
2) Sepia Serpent (Silver Surfer's masterpiece)
3) Douglah (the raisin size / small pod variant)
4) 7Pot Primo --- tied --- Brain Strain
5) 7Pot Yellow
----
Taste:

1) 7Pot Yellow
2) Congo Red Habanero
3) Chocolate Habanero
4) Assam Carbon
5) SBJ7

havent tried a lot but from the ones i have tried i thought that the jolokia wouldent taste all that well but it is in my opinion better than the 7 pods red and yellow the red seven is brutal,

HEAT
1 7pot red original (could not eat it all hot as lava)
2 giant bhut jolokia
3 yellow 7 pot
4 fatali
5 chocolate habanero
flavor
1chocolate hab
2 tabasco
3 giant jolokia
4 fresno
5 jalepeno

Not tried too many of the "hottest variants" but the ones I have hottest would go.
1. Douglah (only had the 2 pods so far)
2. Trinidad Scorpion Morouga blend
3. Bhut Jolokia "Assam"
4. Yellow 7 pot/pod
5. 7 pot/pod Jonah

Tastiest.
1.wild Brazil
2=.Bahamian goat
2= bhut jolokia Assam
2= yellow 7 pot/pod
2= bonda ma jacques
5=. Choc habenero
5= NTRs

hottest
1. TS Moruga
2. Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
3. TS Butch T
4. Trinidad Douglah
5. Bhut Jolokia

tastiest
1. 7pot Primo orange
2. Madame Jeanette
3. CGN 21500
4. Habanero Hot Lemon
5. Jam Sc. Bonnet TFM

I will just add one for tastiest. I recently got some seeds offered by Yemtol for "Nhu's Pepper." He sent a couple of dried pods and I have to say it was, hands down, the tastiest pepper I have ever tried. Heat was mild, but definitely present.

My five hottest and the other four tastiest have already been listed by others above.

Any chance people could try to say a few words about the flavor, so we readers can make an informed judgement about what to try next? It's nice to know "so-and-so likes Pepper X", but more informative to know "so-and-so likes Pepper X because it tastes like bubble gum and makes your ears glow in the dark". :-)

I'm not a serious heat guy, and my "tastiest" list keeps changing. Fatalii is a constant (for all the same properties everyone else likes about it: citrus flavor that cuts through the heat), and after this year I think Aji Limo Rojo is a permanent entry (another bright citrus flavor, sweeter and less floral, an outstanding salsa pepper). After that I get capricious; today I'd probably say Fresno (vegetal-meets-sweet, the ideal pickling pepper), the little _frutescens_-looking peppers that I think are Thai sun (bright, hot, quick to burn and quick to pass, like a swift punch in the nose from a tiny and very angry lime), and the volunteer piquins that came from nowhere in my garden this year (sweet, hot, and with just a tiny smokiness when dried, a quintessentially Mexican flavor profile). Tomorrow I'll change my mind.

-NT

ntenny,

Might try some of the baccatums for interesting taste. Peppadews are good, IMO, Aji Omnicolors are crunchy, fruity and hot enough to run with a hot peno or serrano.

1.) Naga Jolokia
2.) Yellow 7 pot
3.) Fatali
4.) Red Habaneros
5.) Scotch Bonnet

1.) New mexico Chili
2.)Dulce Chili
3.)Thai Chili - pree kik nu
4.) Jalepeno
5.)Pepperoncini