Top Nine Pepper Varieties

I will soon be starting my annual stock of pepper plants. I start 1200 more or less seedlings of which 400 I try to get planted for use in my vegetable farm stand business. The rest approximately 800, get repotted in 4" pots and are sold at the roadside stand. I try to plant and resell the most prolific, flavorful and desireable varieties available for Wisconsin z4. I need to limit my selections to 3 each of sweet, mild and hot peppers. Over the years there has been increased interest in stuffing, roasting and pickling peppers in all three categories. The demand is starting to slide into the willingness to accept speciallty peppers. Any ratings would be very welcome. Thank You Kindly, peppertiller

lemon drop might be a good hot to go with. Ever since I first saw it I've thought it'd be a great plant to mass market to the sort of people who just want a single pot plant to grow some hot peppers.

For sweet/stuffing peppers go with Bell, Anaheim, and poblano. For mild/pickling have Jalapeño, Hungarian hot wax, and Fresno. For hot have Habanero/Caribbean red, Bhut Jolokia, and Fatali.

The preceding is only my opinion though....... :D

Thank You for your replies! I,ve found most of your reccomendations. I will try a hundred Lemon Drop and Fatali in containers for resale and also put some in my vegetable patch

I think that, for the masses, the Fatali would be MORE than hot enough. I just hope no one tries to eat one whole! I know for heat and flavor, I like the white hab's. They may be too small for stuffing, but they have an awesome taste! Also, don;t forget the Scotch Bonnet. To ME, it's the better half of the habanero.

Thanks Hot Pooper; I am rushing in another seed order today and will divide the flavor's a bit more and include the KOOL whites and Scotch. Sounds like we could make wine in august! tai haku-Guernsey where? bye,bye peppertiller tony k.

Being in Zone 4, I think "short season". I don't know if your customers have enough time to grow most C. chinense to maturity unless you sell them 6 month old, 3 foot tall plants. :lol:

Lemon Drop (C.baccatuum) is a great pepper, but it can take 100 days from plant out to mature fruit. A Bhut Jolokia can take four to six months!

I'm thinking C.annuums might be a better choice. So, with that in mind, here's a few I came up with you might want to look at. Most are 80 days DTM, or less.

Golden Cayenne - Hot - 4 inch yellow fruit. Prolific. Good for powder. (80 days)
Large Hot Cherry - Hot - 1-2 in fruit. Heavy crop. Good for stuffing, pickling. (80 days)
Fish - Hot - Variegated, ornamental. Good for pickling, powder. (80 days)
Peter (Red, Yellow, Orange) - Hot - Novelty, good for powder (90 Days)

Pretty Purple Pepper - Ornamental - Purple leaves & stalks. Purple to Red fruit (75 days)

Numex Joe E Parker - Mild - 6-7 inch tapered, thick walled. Deep green to bright red (65 days)
Jalapeño TAM - Mild - good for pickling. (70 days)
Sport - Mild/Med - good for pickling. Used on Chicago style hot dogs. (75 days)

Jimmy Nardello - Sweet - Deep red, Italian frying type. (75 days)
King of the North - Sweet - Green, short season cool weather bell. (70 days)

Hybrids
Carmen - 2006 AAS Selection - Red, sweet Italian frying type. (75 days)
Gypsy - 1981 AAS Selection - Yellow, sweet bell type. Good in cool weather. (65 days)

There's certainly a lot more out there to consider. These are just a few that I've grown personally and would recommend to others.

Good luck to you this season.

I'm up with DownRiver regarding getting plants for shorter growing season.

As a no-brainer for the mass market, seems like 'Early Jalapeno' would be on the list. Supposed to shave 10 days off the growing time. I'm trying them this year because even in zone 6A I'd like more production, maybe an extra crop or let more grow to red. I think the mass market average joe would rate them as 'hot,' though no one on the forum would!

For hot (again as defined by mass market) I've always had a lot of production out of "Super Chili." A fun and easy to grow smaller plant, great for containers or in the ground.

For mild, I'm trying an early season "Chimayo" this season. Native Seeds They sure are cool looking on a rista. Doubt it would be a mass market hit, though. I'm growing them just for early maturity and also the 300-year history behind them. And to make a rista!

Back