• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Topping immediately after dividing and transplanting multiple seedlings

I just bought 3 pots ghost peppers from Home Depot for $12. One pot had 4 seedlings in it and the other two had 2 seedlings each. I ended up splitting them up and put them in their own separate containers last night. I tried to divide them up without tearing up their roots so bad, but its almost impossible to not mess up their roots unless they are newly sprouted. Seeing how they are probably already in a state of transplant shock, would it be too much on them if I topped them now and just deal with the transplant and topping shock all at the same time or should i wait a week or two and then top them? 

The seedlings are not leggy or anything, but I have a hard time topping seedlings once they put on some serious growth so I figure if I could top them now it would be less hard on me psychologically since I haven't invested so much time in letting them grow. 

Heres a picture of the ghost peppers I bought. They are now all in their own pots since this photo was taken.

Attachments

• 2C6AA7FC-C465-44C1-B0FA-7212F7F5AE20.jpeg
    2C6AA7FC-C465-44C1-B0FA-7212F7F5AE20.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 89
i wouldn`t top them. i grew one last year also from Bonnieplants and it bushed out with many branches on if's own without being topped. here is a pic of the plant last year as it started flowering. i rarely ever top pepper plants. 

bonnieghost.jpg

skullbiker said:
Why do you feel this need to top them?
Just wonderin.
I plan on growing these in containers so i can easily move them around and overwinter them without having to dig them up, I already have over 40 pepper plants in the ground at the moment and plan on overwintering the best ones. Since I'll be limited in space, topping them will make them bush out instead of growing tall. Plus topping them would encourage the lower branches to grow out and produce more flowers which would make more peppers. 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i wouldn`t top them. i grew one last year also from Bonnieplants and it bushed out with many branches on if's own without being topped. here is a pic of the plant last year as it started flowering. i rarely ever top pepper plants. 

attachicon.gif
bonnieghost.jpg
How long do you think it will take these little guys get to that size? I know it's still kind of early in the season, but I never had much luck getting my peppers to grow up big by the end of the season. Do you think I should go from their current cups directly into 5 gallon pots or should i gradually pot up? 

Little_Yeti said:
How long do you think it will take these little guys get to that size? I know it's still kind of early in the season, but I never had much luck getting my peppers to grow up big by the end of the season. Do you think I should go from their current cups directly into 5 gallon pots or should i gradually pot up? 
i usually buy the plants in April and may and put them outside on warmer days and bring them in on colder nights and plant directly into 3 to 5 gal buckets. i keep them in the their small pots till its time to go into the buckets. i try to get them planted in the buckets as early as i can, usually middle of May if it looks like no frost. here`s a couple more pics with pods, some very low on the plant. this ghost is in a small bucket, maybe 2 or 3 gal at most.

ghostwithpods.jpg

ghost3.jpg

lowpods.jpg

Back