• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

topping pepper plants?

TrentL said:
I topped 150 feet of Turkish Cayenne (1.5 rows) and next to them I'm leaving 225 feet (2.25 rows) to grow out naturally.

Not a huge sample size, just 250 plants, but we'll see how they do under identical soil / drip irrigation / sunlight / etc.

Will wait to see what happens.

Any word on the results?

Can't speak for anyone else, but my plants got attacked by broad mites early in the experiment, so nothing reliable came out of it for me.

@ Marruk. Trent's glog is >  2018 - The Farm but I couldn't find anything with a search of the over 1600 posts.

@ solid7. My limited experiment here.> NECM 2018 Topped & Not Topped Glog   As can be seen there wasn't much difference between topped - untopped at the end of the season in both plant size and fruit production. Of course this was one species/plant type/grow but the results were very telling, hardly any difference by the end of growing season.

As always, YMMV

Facebook has a group "Chile Pepper Plant Strippers" group on this subject. That said, I stripped plants a few years back and though I didnt keep accurate records, the plants ( chinense) responded amazingly and bushed out like crazy and looked amazing. I reccommend stripping some of your plants.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
My limited experiment here.> NECM 2018 Topped & Not Topped Glog   As can be seen there wasn't much difference between topped - untopped at the end of the season in both plant size and fruit production. Of course this was one species/plant type/grow but the results were very telling, hardly any difference by the end of growing season.

As always, YMMV
Thank you for reporting your results. Yours were the only results I found.

My takeaway from your results was that topping slowed initial growth, which resulted in less overall production.

However... It also seems like you had a short season.

Does this seem a fair assessment?

Its been my suspicion that topping is only beneficial if you've got a long growing season, either due to local climate or starting early indoors... If it's beneficial at all.

I hope to test this next season, as I've already topped almost all of my plants, and they just moved outside this week.

We had a recent hail storm, and I can definitely say that they plants that got some shredding, definitely took a bounce.  They are really rocking back hard.
Stressing plants by mechanically damaging them is a very old trick.  It's used on fruit trees to kickstart fruit production.  Beating about the trunk with a hickory axe handle gave me grapefruit in year 3 of a new tree.  Mangoes in year 3.  And it will work for just about any plant, so long as it can handle the punishment.
Apparently, when stressed as such, they make it a top priority to fulfil their biological mandate.  Without getting too technical - it tricks them into thinking that they are dying.  There's a boatload of real science behind this.
But shredding plants won't fly with most growers, because most people can't even stand a pinhole brown spot in leaves, much less something that's had a weed whacker or bamboo stake applied to it.

I have taken pretty much all my plants outside. The smaller ones (3inch) are doing fine but the larger (up to 12 inch) have taken a beating with the winds we've been having. Some have lost most of their large leaves but there is a ton of new growth coming on.

Soon after I took the larger ones out, the almost all started forming buds at the top so I topped them to stop them from flowering when I want them to grow. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do but they all seem pretty happy for now!

Marruk said:
Thank you for reporting your results. Yours were the only results I found.

My takeaway from your results was that 1. topping slowed initial growth, which resulted in 2. less overall production.

However...3. It also seems like you had a short season.

4. Does this seem a fair assessment?

Its been my suspicion that topping is only beneficial if you've got a long growing season, either due to local climate or starting early indoors... If it's beneficial at all.

I hope to test this next season, as I've already topped almost all of my plants, and they just moved outside this week.

1. Yes.
2. By a very small margin.
3. Plants were topped/transplanted to pots early June - harvested mid/late Oct.
4. Other than "short season", I'm in Zone 6a, yes with caveats below....

As I posted, Of course this was one species/plant type/grow but the results were very telling, hardly any difference by the end of growing season., if it was a lanky C. bactuum there may have been different results. Also I had a very wet/rainy season so I was not able to use ferts the way I normally do, read that as lack of regular fertilizing.

Hope this helps!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

1. Yes.
2. By a very small margin.
3. Plants were topped/transplanted to pots early June - harvested mid/late Oct.
4. Other than "short season", I'm in Zone 6a, yes with caveats below....

As I posted, Of course this was one species/plant type/grow but the results were very telling, hardly any difference by the end of growing season., if it was a lanky C. bactuum there may have been different results. Also I had a very wet/rainy season so I was not able to use ferts the way I normally do, read that as lack of regular fertilizing.

Hope this helps!

It does help indeed help; thanks again!

I have noticed that early topping, especially due to overwintering die-of of "old wood", has resulted in a rebound and bushing out of most varieties, especially Yr. 2 and Yr. 3 plants.  I lost only a handful due to other environmental factors, runts, etc.  Everything is looking really good now and the seasonal flower drop has subsided, and pods are now showing and growing. 

I have a very simple logic:

1. If a plant is already branching at lower nodes and it is starting to get taller than I want before moving it outside then I will "prune" it Veronica Flores style. If it's getting tall and there are no signs of growth at the nodes, then I don't prune it.

2. If I feel a plant is still too tall to withstand wind when I move it outdoors, then I will sink it all the way down the the bottom of a tall pot (bury half to 3/4 the height of the plant).

But generally, though, this is the reason why I don't start seeds until the last week in March - I can't plant out until almost mid-June and I want my plants to be as short and fat as possible when I do plant out. Planting in January or February is just asking for trouble, especially with aphids, in my experience.

During previous years, I have started in ordinary, "pre-fertilised" garden soil and not fertilised at all until moving outdoors. I ran 3500k flourescent tubes 16 hours per day. Cotyledons were smallish and usually with a length of 2-3cm from the stalk, turned yellow and fell off within less than 2 weeks. Branching usually did not occur and the plants just grew straight and tall.

This year, I have experienced a different result. I started in a mix of 10 parts "pre-fertilised" coir, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite. I am also feeding a weak solution of FloraMicro and FloraMato with every watering (5ml each into 10 liters water, 10ml each after second true leaves appear). I am running 6400k LED lights 24 hours per day. Cotyledons have grown to be huge with a length up to 6-7cm from the main stalks and are still dark green and showing no signs of falling off even after 3 weeks or more for most plants. Branching has occured at _every_ node (even at the cotyledons themselves) on _every_ plant of every variety I have going except for a few pubes. I still have nearly 7 weeks until plant out, so let's see if they actually get too tall for my indoor space.

Marruk said:

Any word on the results?

Sorry about not following up; on those turkish caynenne, no difference in production that I could tell. But we grew way the heck more than we could sell so most went the way of bird feed on the compost pile; I didn't have accurate data as we never completely harvested them. Those plants all set pods so heavily that many broke.

Back