• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Topping vs FIMing vs Nothing

I'm doing a little science experiment with one of my pepper beds this year. For each variety (46 varieties, 160 plants across a range of heat and species), I topped 1/3 of the plants, FIM'd 1/3 and left 1/3 untouched. Every variety has at least one of each, and most have two of each. I'm now two weeks out from putting them in the ground, and I'm starting to see some results --
14499086992_be6ce822b7_b.jpg

Cabuchile Topped

14477158856_0ba7febe57_b.jpg

Cabuchile FIM'd

14496890691_4366b03a3a_b.jpg

Cabuchile Left Alone

14520413943_9b2d8df053_b.jpg

Chile de Agua Topped

14498997784_820d3c991f_b.jpg

Chile de Agua FIM'd

14520416913_bdd0bb1a06_b.jpg

Chile de Agua left alone

So far, topping and FIMming are clearly winning, but I'm a long way from declaring a winner yet. I'll keep posting the results from these and other varieties as the season goes on.
As an aside, all of these plants would probably be a lot further along if it hadn't been so *#!% cold these last couple weeks.

Good experiment!  Nice quantity of plants.  I look forward to seeing the results at the end of the season

No worries! I *MAY* have learned about it awhile back with a whole different type of gardening. I did it for a while and it worked okay.

I just had to post that link though! Every now and then I get a sudden urge to do it and it's a hilarious link for me. With an IT background it has been used often by me for people, though here it's just all in good fun! ;)

kgetpeppers said:
I think I have more pods when I top a plant but usually not as big.
Though this is my 1st season FiIM'n, TOPPIN', and STRIPPIN' my plants look like bushes because of stripping that I did a while back. I became a believer after discovering the grower "Spicy Chicken" on this site. Check out the results he gets. Jeff's plant yield is unbelievable. I learned of stripping from him. 

Nip the top off  and pinch off all but a few of the lower leaves. (for photosynthesis) It stimulates  root growth then leaves start growing from seemingly everywhere. I read (probably on this site) that you get a more pod growth from the lateral branches vs the upright growth.

Below are pics of stripping. Sorry but I could only grab these photos right now which are of two different plants but it  shows the stimulus of stripping. I'll have to take current photos showing progress.

It's interesting to hear everyone's input. Sounds like we're all going to get pods regardless of technique which in my book is a good thing. Personally for me I like to experiment and try different things and see the results like Paddy is doing.

My biggest problem as of now is the little bast**d that infiltrated my $500.00 fencing around my garden. I need a shipment of red tail hawks delivered  to my backyard for a while! I think its a rabbit(s). I buried the fencing 1 foot deep a few years ago and I see no sign of woodchucks burrows or anything for that matter. Stealth critter getting in and out undetected. :evil:

I have also a few plants that I Topped, Fimmed or left alone, The left alone few are growing pretty well and put out buds earlier but the other ones have like 4x the amount of nodes so only time will tell.

I topped all last year,this year I am letting everything above the fork do what it wants.I can see I will be supporting more this year because of the large branches.It is a good thing.

randyp said:
       I topped all last year,this year I am letting everything above the fork do what it wants.I can see I will be supporting more this year because of the large branches.It is a good thing.

How were your yields last year? Why are you changing it this year? Just curious.

My yields were pretty good.With my growing season in Southwest Iowa,I am trying 3 different things this year.Slightly raised beds(instead of containers),plant out date(3 weeks earlier)and trimming just the leaves off the ground.I avoided a frost worry,and am way ahead of last year on plant size,from not topping and just letting them go.There are many variables,we have had more rain and humidity to start this growing season.Topping last year was just me screwing with the plants because I cant leave my hands off anything,but it turned out ok. ;)
 Here is one that was topped last year.
View attachment 12099

Think a big variable not thrown into this mix is when you start your plants, when you top/prune them and when they get planted out. And there could be multiple toppings/prunings prior to plant out.

Valleyman said:
My biggest problem as of now is the little bast**d that infiltrated my $500.00 fencing around my garden. I need a shipment of red tail hawks delivered  to my backyard for a while! I think its a rabbit(s). I buried the fencing 1 foot deep a few years ago and I see no sign of woodchucks burrows or anything for that matter. Stealth critter getting in and out undetected. :evil:
What are you waiting for? Unleash the hot sauce. :onfire:

I feel like topping and fimming can be most effective outdoors in good heat and strong light, I think perhaps I'll try it in my bloody hot location and see how mine get.
In the end, it doesn't matter, I'm turning most of them into Bonsai Chiles when I feel they're done for the season here.
..the thought of bonsai chiles is exciting :)

Datil said:
Unless you have space constraints or need aesthetical shaping you'd probably have more luck leaving plants untouched and giving them a lot of root space.

Cya

Datil

Stressing the plant this way may cause a burst in foliage growth, but I'll bet anything that it has to suspend root development while it re-grows all those perfectly good leaves. 

Back