• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

sandwiches Torta Ahogada( drowned sandwich)

When I lived out in L.A. there is a shop that that specialized in torta ahogada sandwiches. Since moving back to IL the only one I've been able to find is in the Chicago area. These sandwiches come out of the state of Jalisco and mainly the city of Guadalajara. I've asked many Mexican restaurants in the area to see if they would make this, but declined. So I figured I'd make it myself and have almost nailed it with the taste I remember from L.A.

Ingredients:

Bolillo bread
Pulled pork(carnitas)

Sauce:
tomatoes
garlic
chipotles in adobo sauce
Chile de arbol peppers
white vinegar

onion:
large red onion
juice of 4 limes
I suggest pickling the onion a couple days before just to make them soft. Sprinkle salt lightly on the onion and sandwich. This dish is incredible on a hot day served with a sprite.

Attachments

• torta ahogada.jpg
    torta ahogada.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 109
Wow, I remember eating these in Chapala about 40 years ago. We cooked carnitas today and I have everything else in house except for the arbol. I think I'm gonna make me some of this stuff to eat. Thanks for the remembery!

I don't know about the hot day and the sprite but maybe I can find me some Bohemia and arbol and stoke up the wood stove.

That looks delicious!  We lived in L.A for a couple years...but it was indeed Lower Alabama.  Very special place, with a bunch of fabulous food!

Back