• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Total noob on seeds

Was wondering if a diy 4X42 watt (cfl rating) deflecter was to much for seedlings? Everything I try to Google has to do with the "STICKY GREEN"! LOL! An if a 4X42 watt bulbs 6,500K would keep them living and growing for about 2 months? Until the weather warms up and I can plant them outside? Sorry for the noob question. Just haven't really read any where on here the most deff answer. But AJi has been on here a while! Hope he chimes in! :-)

Yes, almost optimal in my opinion! Watch the heat...lower them slowly. I think maybe 6-8" to start.

Oh...how many are you talking about?

Welcome. The 'sticky green' guys tend to be on the cutting edge of growing technology...you certainly could apply a lot of their stuff to growing peppers.

I mix my bulbs 2 x 6500K and 2 x 2300K

Just my 2 cents...

I just built a 6500k CFL setup today (vids uploading now), and I am starting my height at about 12" above the top of the leaves. I have found out that seedlings DO NOT LIKE TOO MUCH POWER! I started with a 600W MH and even though it was "supposed" to be the best, they all died. Then I put em under a t5 at about 8" and they started to purple and I have a few leaves that dropped. Now I raised it to about 12-14" and they seem to be doing great.

Take this advice to avoid heartache: START HIGHER THAN EVERYONE TELLS YOU TO! What is the worst that can happen if you stick that CFL at 12"? They get a bit leggy in the first week? Well then you know that it is too high. It is better to have them a mm or 2 too tall than to have them purple and drop leaves. If the leaves show purple tint, the light is too close/too powerful.

That should be just right. I have my seedlings under a pair of 105W CFL's (with a 60W incandescent to add a little warmth). The plants are about 2-3 feet away from the light in a 6'x3' growbox with walls lined with mylar blankets and after about 3-4 weeks from germinating they aren't getting leggy at all.

Was wondering if a diy 4X42 watt (cfl rating) deflecter was to much for seedlings? Everything I try to Google has to do with the "STICKY GREEN"! LOL! An if a 4X42 watt bulbs 6,500K would keep them living and growing for about 2 months? Until the weather warms up and I can plant them outside? Sorry for the noob question. Just haven't really read any where on here the most deff answer. But AJi has been on here a while! Hope he chimes in! :-)

i use multiple 100 watt equivalant daylight spectrum CFL's for 2 years now they work just fine!! the more the better
not sure by AJI you ment me but just the same it will work to get your seedlings from house to garden

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks guys for all the responses. This was the kind of info I was hoping to get. Glad to hear start higher then lower the lights. Trying to avoid the HEARTACHE as much as possible. An only a few seeds I'll be starting for now. Maybe 12-15 but as you all know Judy sends extra's so they'll probably be added to the list. An yea thinking I'm gonna have to add a 60 watt or so for a little stable heat. An yea I ment you Joe, sorry if that was confusing or inaproppriate in any way. Have just seen you always seem to help others in threads like this one. Again thanks guys all is greatly appreciated.

Ok guys change in bulbs. Couldn't find the ones I wanted in the local big box stores. :O Should've took some things I read on her to heart. An ordered them online. So how about 4X23 watt daylight 5,000k cfl's? The 100 watt equivalents. An are these the ones you're referring to that you use Joe? Thanks again, Justin

Ok guys change in bulbs. Couldn't find the ones I wanted in the local big box stores. :O Should've took some things I read on her to heart. An ordered them online. So how about 4X23 watt daylight 5,000k cfl's? The 100 watt equivalents. An are these the ones you're referring to that you use Joe? Thanks again, Justin

you got it, do well

thanks your friend Joe

Back