vendor Trade Winds Fruit

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Hot-Peppers/start/1/total/129/Categories

$7.00 for FOUR seeds of White Bhut Jolokia? Is someone puffing something they shouldn't? LMAO. That's $1.75 PER SEED. Crazy price.

Chris

I wanted to try this one, but it's clearly not C. chinense:

Scotch Bonnet Orange Pepper

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-1696/Scotch-Bonnet-Orange-Pepper/Detail

The color is still pretty though. They also won't allow customers to buy less than $10 in seeds AND just bump the S/H fees to make the order reach $10. Oh well.

Chris

My bet is on C.Baccatum

Edit: The picture could be taken from someone else. For example i saw they had same pic for Fatali yellow and Bhut Jolokia Yellow.

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Hot-Peppers/start/1/total/129/Categories

$7.00 for FOUR seeds of White Bhut Jolokia? Is someone puffing something they shouldn't? LMAO. That's $1.75 PER SEED. Crazy price.

Chris
The bad thing is they probably came from someone I remember posting them in batches of 5000 for a good price. I mean I understand people want to make a profit but like you said, are they puffing something. Hopefully you don't have bad germination.

You're far more expert than I at differentiating types of peppers. What exactly is it that makes you say it's not C.Chinense? Is it the base of the stalk?
The photo closely resembles the plants resulting from seed that I bought as a Capsicum Chinense Scotch Bonnet Yellow. The hint in the photo is how the calyx wraps around the top of the pod.

My plants are likely to be some variant of Capsicum Annuum Jamaican Yellow Mushroom just as I suspect is depicted in the photo.

The ones I saw on another site were like a light green, not even white.

I would think to call it white it would have to be white? Maybe that's why they don't show a picture?

they better be guaranteed to grow and be true to form at that insane price :crazy:

i should get some white bhut seeds somewhere grow them and charge 10 for buck. wow does this sound familiar !!! ??? :lol:

not buying there!!

thanks your friend Joe

The bad thing is they probably came from someone I remember posting them in batches of 5000 for a good price. I mean I understand people want to make a profit but like you said, are they puffing something. Hopefully you don't have bad germination.
Funny they have no problem "arm and leggin" you on price and no pic, and no proof of grow out.....you would think they'd use 'em for promotion at a LOWER cost just because they have no idea if thats what they actually are...and basically tell you that!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22803-white-bhut/
Here is where there is 50 for 8 AUD + 2 AUD to get to the U.S. 10 AUD currently = 10.22 USD.
so at $7 for 4 = Ruthless profit

That's more like it.

Has anyone ever ordered from that Tradewinds place before? They had a few other things I would be interested in ordering, but easy to find elsewhere also, if that place is a sham...

I received 2 different strains of the "White Bhuts" from different sources to grow next season so it's going to be interesting to compare the two. One is from "Sri Lanka" and the other is from "India" I presume. I'll be sure to post pics of the 2 types next season.

It's sad to see tradewinds jump on the "get what you can get gravey train".
I've baught seeds from them several times over the years they grew true and they
sent a fair amount of seeds for the price.

It sucks that now I'm going to be concerned with the possibility that they will follow the Reimers seed co. trail.

In general,whenever seed venders start charging prices like that they soon go downhill fast.
It'll be a shame.
I won't be giving them my hard earned cash anymore just out of principle.(I was thinking of checking out their Chupatinho-think I'll find it elsewhere).
Might even send them an E Mail about why.
I hate seeing this kind of thing happen to an otherwise good seed vender.I liked and recomended them often to anyone who asked about their seeds in the past.

I have ordered from them several times over the yrs and have always been very satisfied with the results. For me that is what it is about. The truth is no seed company comes even close to the prices we see on here from the pepper community. I would rather pay a little higher and have good germination rates and them being what advertised then get them cheap and have poor germ rates or them not being what they were supposed to be. Their price for the white bhuts is high but most of the others I think are reasonable so lets not knock them on one item in their seed list. They are somewhere between a grower and a vender as a company getting regular shipments from sources all over the world. They brought the white bhut seed in and may have over paid for it themselves. In all the orders I have done with them I have never had a bad batch of seed and many times have gotten extra seed in the packets.

I have just had some "white bhuts" sprout. 95% of them look like definite chinenses, but a few are questionable.
People WILL buy them for way more absorbent prices believe it or not.

I received seeds of some of the so called white Bhut Jolokia, BUT

I have noticed that the pic seems to be showing immature light green pods

I say this because you could see on the seeds where they were connected to the placenta, that they came from a red pod
so I think that the reason they were called "white" was that they start of at a very light green stage then go through a whitish stage but eventually turn red????

just my opinion, I could be wrong

even so $1.75 for a seed :crazy:

Yeah, I noticed that too JR. Have you got any in yet? We shall see I suppose.
I definitely don't agree with $1.75 a seed but take note of the guy that was selling 4 Scorp seeds in rockwool for a whopping $40!!!! I definitely don't support this, but people will pay that much provided they come with the prefix RARE! Lol

Back