vendor Trade Winds Fruit

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Hot-Peppers/start/1/total/129/Categories

$7.00 for FOUR seeds of White Bhut Jolokia? Is someone puffing something they shouldn't? LMAO. That's $1.75 PER SEED. Crazy price.

Chris

I've bought from Trade Winds a few times and I've always been satisfied with the results. Pretty high germination rates and they've always grown true. Yes, some of their things are overpriced, but hey, I just don't bother with those varieties. I decided after the fact to do a few more varieties this year, so I have Pequin and the Orange Scotch Bonnets out of curiousity... I'll probably start germinating them this weekend, along with some basils later in the year.

Also bought Yerba Mate seeds for the fun of it, but since the germination rate on them is absolute crap anyway those won't be any judge of their quality. Still, since they tend to have limited viability to begin with, if any of them pop up for me you'll definitely see me singing praises here.

Ordered a bunch of seeds Friday morning, received on Monday! Great selection of general vegetables, great prices (except for the rant that started this thread) and free shipping for orders over $10.

Everything has had excellent germination and has grown true.

Tradewinds update on seed quality.
When Bhuts were "all the rave" Trade winds had em like 10 seeds for five bucks, this was like 3 years ago when I got these seeds, anyway I planted two of em, and sure enough they sprouted out strong. Ive had great succes with their all seeds. I planted some black,purple, and San Marzano maters I got last year and they popped within three days, even the German Pink maters I purchased 3 years ago sprouted too. Ive always had a special spot for this company as when I decided to search for seeds internet wise, this was the first compay I made a seed purchase with and was always more than pleased. The could throw in a couple freebeeies though ;)

I like Trade Winds and I have bought plenty of seed from them. I had germination issues with the Bhut Jolokia seeds I bought from them, and they sent me another pack! With that said, i was dissappointed when I planted two Ghosts and one grew with small pods (could be environment or first batch of pods?), and the second one I don't think is a Ghost Pepper. So after months of growing, I get something completely different. :(

I'll let you all decide if it's a Ghost or not. I think it's a type of habanero or sorts. I did eat one, and I'm still alive. :) It was hot, but not deadly hot.
583ba36e.jpg

061ba7ed.jpg

Member(Harry) just passed this link to me, so i could see Kingz's Jamaican scotch bonnet(that is really a mushroom), i was "hot'n'horny" earlier this year about ordering scotch bonnets(and other stuff) from tradeswind but that leaves me with a bit of a knot in my throat. though i have considered growing jamaican mushroom but would feel a little let down if my intention was to grow true bonnets and i didn't get what i ordered.

Helldozer, i have several bombay morich plants and all have produced pods similar to yours, i am putting i off to my growing environment and though i would like the longer pointed wrinkled fruit, all mine have been shorter, stubby and smooth. mine came from another, good supplier, so i am putting if off to my environment and not disappointed.

Remember too, folks, that no outfit is perfect. However a good one will make good on their seed.

I received Yellow Bhut seed from NMSU/CPI this year that were clearly not Yellow Bhuts. Even the "true pros" get it wrong sometimes.

Jamaican SB are really mushrooms

IMG_4601.jpg

They have Yellow, Red and Orange Scotch Bonnet seeds listed. Which colour did you buy?

How many plants did you grow to maturity from the seed?

Remember too, folks, that no outfit is perfect. However a good one will make good on their seed.

I received Yellow Bhut seed from NMSU/CPI this year that were clearly not Yellow Bhuts. Even the "true pros" get it wrong sometimes.

An issue of the photo of their Scotch Bonnet Orange looking like that of a C. Annuum was mentioned a while ago. It would be interesting to see if anyone has grown that particular colour to see if it matches the photo.

Member(Harry) just passed this link to me, so i could see Kingz's Jamaican scotch bonnet(that is really a mushroom), i was "hot'n'horny" earlier this year about ordering scotch bonnets(and other stuff) from tradeswind but that leaves me with a bit of a knot in my throat. though i have considered growing jamaican mushroom but would feel a little let down if my intention was to grow true bonnets and i didn't get what i ordered.

It took some effort to convince my (different) supplier of Jamaican Scotch Bonnet seeds that what they had was C. Annuum Jamaican Yellow Mushroom type. I note though that Trade Winds Fruit also have Mushroom Red and Yellow seeds listed separately. I wonder if anyone has commented to them at least about the Scotch Bonnet Orange photo.

They must have updated their pricing structure because I ordered several seed packets from them a couple of weeks ago and got quite a few seeds of Buhts, Fatalli, Tobasco and Cayanne for a measly $10.00 or so. Nothing has germinated yet, so we'll have to wait and see how good they are.

So far aside the Jamaican scotch bonnets being yellows. And dont know where jal s plants came from because I didn't order and jal seeds. I'm quiet happy I guess. Here's my naga jolokia
AC980ABC-B7FA-4CF1-85CC-9B6F3E4D1828-9617-0000049EEB21E46B.jpg

I ordered Aji Rojo, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Red Manzano Pepper, Mulato Isleno and Orange Green Zebra Tomato seeds from Trade Winds. Of the peppers so far, only 1 of the 8 Manzano has hooked, but it's only been 1 week. I presume the Manzano is as advertised because the seeds were black. The Orange Green Zebra seeds are 3/8 (1 week). Will report back if anything is amiss.

EDIT 3/22: 2/8 Aji Rojo are up. Still no Jamaican Hot Chocolates. 6/8 Red Manzano, 4/4 Mulato, 6/8 orange green zebra.

Ive ordered from Tradewinds quite a few times. Mostly fruit, but also peppers, herbs, and tomatoes. Germination rates have been excellent and everything i remember has grown true. Denniz, I had the same issue with scotch bonnet seeds that were passed on to me from another source (not Tradewind Fruit). I was very excited about harvesting some jamacian bonnets and a bit dissapointed when they turned out to be annums.

Updating my post 50. Of the seeds I ordered, all had excellent germination rates and everything grew true except the Bhuts. They ended up being some weird red hab cross.

It seems like Trade Winds has really improved their operations since this thread was started.  I've purchased from them several times over the last two years and have had very good luck with their seeds, and their prices are generally hard to beat.  Their selection of peppers keeps growing, too.  I came here to post in this thread to let anyone interested know that they've just posted a bunch of seeds for sale at 50¢/pack.  The list includes a few pepper varieties.  I stocked up for next spring, along with a few selections for the winter garden.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with TWF other than being a satisfied customer.

Bought a bunch of varieties from them last year, but only decided to grow out the orange scotch bonnet. Seeds were delivered quickly. Had good germination rate and plant is putting out tons of pods that appear to be true.

As others have said, their prices are very good and their selection is growing. I can recommend them with confidence. Surprised they don't get more attention in the vendor vault.

Immolated said:
Bought a bunch of varieties from them last year, but only decided to grow out the orange scotch bonnet. Seeds were delivered quickly. Had good germination rate and plant is putting out tons of pods that appear to be true.

As others have said, their prices are very good and their selection is growing. I can recommend them with confidence. Surprised they don't get more attention in the vendor vault.
Do you have photos of your orange scotch bonnet? The photo on their site still shows a C. annuum.

Sure thing.  I know some of you have been waiting for someone to grow this out for a while.  Pods have just started to ripen.  Will edit post to add once they do.  Definitely don't resemble MoA style.  What constitutes a legit chinense SB seems to be ambiguous.  Sorry if the quality stinks.

Legit SB or illegit?  Please weigh in.

20684038356_98570412e8_k.jpg

20639845048_51d1f5a5d6_k.jpg

20834565201_8cbf5488c4_k.jpg

Wanted to bump this up and get your opinions.  Finally did a little haul of about 20 nearly ripened Orange SB pods from Tradewinds.

What do you guys think?  True Orange Scotch Bonnets?  

20544376114_95d99e9498_k.jpg

21140799946_cec3cd951a_k.jpg
21140785736_19837d4267_k.jpg

Immolated said:
Wanted to bump this up and get your opinions.  Finally did a little haul of about 20 nearly ripened Orange SB pods from Tradewinds.

What do you guys think?  True Orange Scotch Bonnets?
I wouldn't be too disappointed if my original attempt (from a different vendor) to grow a Scotch Bonnet turned out like your plant. The plant pictured in your previous post is a strongly branched Capsicum chinense specimen.

How was the taste of the fresh fruit?

Back