• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Trader Joe's crispy habanero

If you love habanero as much as I do. I know you'll enjoy this stuff. Heat level is higher than expected and the habanero flavor is pungent. The crunch it gives goes great on pizza or burgers but my favorite is adding to tacos.
IMG_20211106_185043699.jpg

IMG_20211106_185325481.jpg

I don't think you can replicate it with dried chilies in oil. That would probably taste like sawdust since oil would just surround the chili. You would need to dehydrate, and then rehydrate (with some sort of water, juice, seasoned solution etc.), and then put in oil.

I don't think you can replicate it with dried chilies in oil. That would probably taste like sawdust since oil would just surround the chili. You would need to dehydrate, and then rehydrate (with some sort of water, juice, seasoned solution etc.), and then put in oil.
It definitely does not replicate a cooked crisp. But more like a spicy crispy oil. Not as developed of a flavor. But definitely not sawdust lol. I do it mostly for the infused oil. I use low heat when I mix the dehydrated peppers with oil before canning.

I've had some pretty terrible dried chilies in oil which is why I said that. Basically like little wood chips lol.

I've had some pretty terrible dried chilies in oil which is why I said that. Basically like little wood chips lol.
Sounds more like poor dehydrating techniques. Always low and slow for me to preserve as much of the flavor as possible. Air dried if possible. Many commercially available dried chiles are terrible in my opinion because of the way they are dried.

People also dry them out too much in my opinion. My favorite is dehydrating habaneros just till they're soft like a raisin. Think Ancho. They still last a long time in the cupboard in a mason jar.

I agree because oil is not water and it will not rehydrate a pepper. It needs to have a certain moistness to it if you are going to put it in oil. If you simply dehydrate a pepper until it crushes in your hand it won't work well in oil. If it is pliable it will work better. Like you said, like a raisin.

Back