• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Traditional and Fruit Salsas

Got a nice order of mixed peppers from bakers peppers on here. It was my first time handling super hots and man did they make me cough. I decided to make a bunch of salsa with them first. Not too sure what exactly went into each as a lot of them still look the same to me. I made two different traditional salsas and a pineapple salsa. The super hots made them so great, i may never buy salsa again with how easy it is to make! This was my first time making salsa and my first time canning in general so everything was new to me but somehow came out perfect. Here are my recipes

Salsa.jpg

Spicy 1:

Large can Crushed tomatos
Large Can diced tomatos
can of corn
Can of black beans
3 assorted bell peppers
6 jalapenos
2 large red onion
3/4 cup key lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tbsp canning salt
3 tsp cummin
3 cloves garlic minced
tbsp oregano
tbsp black pepper
4 super hot peppers red (trinidad scorpion, 7pot, ghost pepper, and random mystery pepper?)
10 cherry pear tomatoes

I chopped everything up by hand. I like it chunky so i only used the food processor on the superhots and the pear cherry tomatoes. I steamed them a little first and added one of the cloves of garlic. Then i just combined everything and boiled for a while and then canned the remains!

Pineapple Mango Peach Salsa

2 mangos
2 peaches
1 pineapple
2 yellow bell peppers
1/2 cup key lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 red onion
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup golden raisins
4 yellow super hots (trinidad scorpion, 7pots?) not too sure

I did half chopping and half in the processor with the super hots. Boil then can. This one is spicy sweet and great for pork or fish.

XXX Hot (Its a lighter color due to the jalapeno puree)

Large can Crushed tomatos
2 Large Cans diced tomatos
Large can of corn
Can of black beans
Can of Black Eyed Peas
3 assorted bell peppers
2 small red onion
2 large white onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 cup key lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup canning salt
6 tsp cummin
tbsp celery seed
4 cloves garlic minced
tbsp oregano
1 tbsp brown sugar
tbsp black pepper
1 pound jalapenos with seeds no stems.
6 super hot peppers (2 chocolate jolokias, 1 congo black, the rest random reds. infinity or jolokia or habs of sorts?)

Half the onion and peppers i diced up by hand for chunk and the rest i put through the food processor with the super hots in order to give it a nice texture. Mix it all up and boil then can.

Here is a pic of the super hots i used for this batch

Superhots.jpg

Let me know if anyone sees ways that i can improve these. Thanks!

they all look and sound good! Great Job for your first attempt!

I made this recipe but the 4 tablespoons of canning salt can't be right on the spicy version. It was soo salty I couldn't taste anything but salt. I think I would greatly reduce that amount when using can tomatoes that have a lot of salt already. I'm now making a version with a lot less salt. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back