food Traditional or sorta traditional meals with Monzanos?

I finally pulled my first ever monzano off the plant today and got to taste it for the first time. Absolutely great almost yellow bell taste but not quite, rather warm, with a hint of sweetness. Although, those of you that have eaten a lot of them might have a better description since I had scorp  and not 7-pot powder on dinner so my tastebuds might be fried for the night. 

The pepper is a tad distorted from some watering issues when the pod was forming but that didn't affect the taste. 
20131002_193451.jpg

So anyway, I want to cook with them and I am wondering what they have been traditionally used for or if you guys had favorite recipes. I'm only thought of fajitas so far because I'm not that creative. 

Who has some good recipes or ideas?

You`ve opened a can of worms there!!! 

They are great just chopped with chopped peaches, cilantro and some lime juice. Use in any any salsa you can think of.
I like to use them for chile rellenos, stuffed with cheese. You can also stuff them with cheese/meat/anything and put them in the oven at 375° for 20 minutes. 
Chopped finely with chopped red onion, add 1 cup of lime juice and let it marinate for 30 minutes and it`s like poor man`s ceviche, but really damn good. Or in any type of seafood ceviche. 
You can use them in salads, obviously. A good one is Jicama/manzano/pears/cilantro/ bit of lime juice

If you want to de-sead them for stuffing, WEAR GLOVES. Almost all the heat is in the placenta and ribs and there is a lot of heat in a small volume. I know, I`ve deseeded lots without gloves on and regretted it every time.

<<< Jealous!

None of mine have ripened yet, though at least some are finally full-sized. I'd suggest you do an internet search for recipes from Mexico and South American countries - Peru, Brazil, etc. Other than that, anything you normally cook can have manzanos added - just give things a try and you'll find some you love, some not so much. I personally find that most yellows tend to go better with fish, poultry, and pork than with red meat. (Not 100% true, but frequently so.) I also don't tend to care for most yellows with chocolate, but then I'm not a big chocolate fan, either. Asian is a good choice, too.

Definitely non-traditional, but I just love a finely chopped Manzano stirred into a couple of beaten eggs and fried, on toasted seeded Jewish Rye bread with sliced white American cheese. The combination is sorta like a spicy egg reuben without the sauerkraut.

Back