• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplant shock

Hey folks, I believe when i transplanted one of my plants it went into shock because all of the lower leaves are very droopy, like touching the soil droopy! When I transplanted I lossed atleast half of the soil that was attatched to the roots, I may have lossed some roots too? But possibly not. Anyways, I wanted to know about how long my plant should take to recover from this. I did the transplant this last Sunday night btw. Thanks guys

they will probably be OK..you probably broke some of the main feeder roots to the plant, but if you keep them very moist (not wet), new roots should develop and the plant should survive

(unless you completely trashed the root system)

Hey folks, I believe when i transplanted one of my plants it went into shock because all of the lower leaves are very droopy, like touching the soil droopy! When I transplanted I lossed atleast half of the soil that was attatched to the roots, I may have lossed some roots too? But possibly not. Anyways, I wanted to know about how long my plant should take to recover from this. I did the transplant this last Sunday night btw. Thanks guys

I did the same thing to one of my seedlings a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, the plant showed immediately improvement the next day and after a couple of days, it was strong again.

Good luck!

Well depending on temps, amount of light, whether its wet enough, too dry, or too wet, it could take several days.

I wouldn't worry too much. Pepper plants are pretty hardy. You might think about taking some pictures, and don't dote on it too much, as its easy to give them too much attention.

Might want to take some pictures for us though.

If you disrupted the roots a lot then you probably want to keep the plant out of direct light for a few days+ and keep it humid(or spray it with water now and then) since roots may now have difficulty providing water where necessary.

If you disrupted the roots a lot then you probably want to keep the plant out of direct light for a few days+ and keep it humid(or spray it with water now and then) since roots may now have difficulty providing water where necessary.
Ok thanks! But why do you recommend no direct light?

If they aren't getting enough water movement they will dry out quickly under lights.

Ok gotcha thanks! That makes sense. I was thinking about using a root growth formula on the shocked plant. Would this be a good idea? Should i wait for it to try and recover first?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but a Google search led me here. Any photos on this one? Did it resolve, Megahot?

I'm thinking the plants I bought last week might be suffering a bit of transplant shock. The leaves feel a bit crispy, but they are green. They are also a bit curled.

^ pictures and details of the timing, watering, light, everything may help. One thing I often see people do is they water in the plant good after transplant like they should but then they overwater or get worried the plant isn't doing well when it is balancing out the recovery of its roots by dropping leaves, and growing more roots now that it has so much more room to do it in.

It will probably lose the crispy leaves but don't give the plant excessive attention, only enough water and if it is hot there, consider keeping it in the shade from afternoon onwards at least till it has recovered.

^ pictures and details of the timing, watering, light, everything may help. One thing I often see people do is they water in the plant good after transplant like they should but then they overwater or get worried the plant isn't doing well when it is balancing out the recovery of its roots by dropping leaves, and growing more roots now that it has so much more room to do it in.

It will probably lose the crispy leaves but don't give the plant excessive attention, only enough water and if it is hot there, consider keeping it in the shade from afternoon onwards at least till it has recovered.

I think I figured it out. I brought them in the shade to start. I had them in morning sun. After all, my seedlings with no more than their second set of leaves were tolerating morning sun until noon, then shade the rest of the day. Anyway, there was no way they were being overwatered. I checked the soil two inches deep with my finger and it felt like potting soil the day you open the bag. I know my soil has peat in it. Then it dawned on me, could the roots be dry even though I watered around the plant? I put a finger in the soil and felt the root ball...dry. I put about 2 cups of water in the soil right where the main stalk exits. They perked up in about an hour. Just to be safe, I added another cup and watered around the plant again. No worries, the soil is slightly moist, not wet at all.

I think I figured it out. I brought them in the shade to start. I had them in morning sun. After all, my seedlings with no more than their second set of leaves were tolerating morning sun until noon, then shade the rest of the day. Anyway, there was no way they were being overwatered. I checked the soil two inches deep with my finger and it felt like potting soil the day you open the bag. I know my soil has peat in it. Then it dawned on me, could the roots be dry even though I watered around the plant? I put a finger in the soil and felt the root ball...dry. I put about 2 cups of water in the soil right where the main stalk exits. They perked up in about an hour. Just to be safe, I added another cup and watered around the plant again. No worries, the soil is slightly moist, not wet at all.

Don't know what soil you are using or what kind of pots but I had the same problem with low drainage soil and plastic pots. I wasn't able to get the root ball wet when top watering. The water would run down the inside of the pot and out the drainage holes. I started bottom watering and that worked to get moisture to the roots but I found my laziness was the victor over that process so i threw those stunted plants in the ground and they are doing well with less effort.

Nice, Beerblood. My soil drained fine and the pots have four large drainage holes. Never watered enough to get water out the holes. These won't go in the ground, as I hope to overwinter them. But I will have to wait for the roots to develop a bit more before bottom watering.

The best way I could describe the leaf texture is like parchment paper. Green and a bit curled. No discoloration, but crispy, like parchment paper.

I'll admit to being a noobie but that was my experience. I have one red hab still doing something similar to what you describe and it was in the same shite soil as the ones that i haad a problem with. I haven't transplanted that plant though becuase its in a 15 gallon pot and is producing pods. Hopefully your plants grow well.

How old is the plant mega?

I had a 2 month old plant doing really badly in some cheapo potting mix, so i took it out, washed all traces of the potting mix off and was left with just the plant and the roots.....i repotted it, and after about 3 or 4 days it grew like mad, which just proved to me how hardy these plants can be!
I'm sure yours will be just fine :)

Back