• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplanting flowering/fruiting plants

In general I know this is a bad idea, but I do need/want to move a small over wintered plant (or two) out of the small 8L pots they are in to make room for roots. The younger of the two has a bunch of flowers and buds, and a handful of fruit forming.

Can I safely pot up without disturbing anything, or should I just leave it as is and make due? I actually don't even know what it is any more lol.

You should be able to move them safely as long as you don't tear up the roots too much. You'll need to loosen the root ball a bit, but don't go nuts on them. Water them in very well to make sure the dirt packs around the root ball when you transplant. They should be fine.

Not sure on this Fil,but if you water the overwinter first I think you would have less root breakage,then go with what Buzz says on its final destination.

Don't necessarily water right before trying to move, as if the soil is too wet it will be difficult to remove the plant along with all the soil. Don't aim for not disturbing the root ball, but try to keep the entire soil "block" intact - ideally it should still be shaped much like the pot, as if you just peeled the pot away from the soil. Easier said than done in some cases, especially dependent upon the kind of pot the plant is in. If it's plastic with some flexibility to it and sides that taper outwards from bottom to top, then it will be fairly easy. Regardless of the type of pot, lay it on its side and thump it - turn a bit and thump again. Repeat until either it's obvious it has become loose from the sides, or until you've at least turned and thumped it every way around. Hold your hand at the base of the plant against the soil to support the plant, then raise the bottom of the pot up with your free hand. You may need to get the plant fairly upside down or you may need to return it to the side and repeat the thump process. If the pot itself is not flexible or is heavy, it's good to have someone who can help.

I am in the same boat. I have three p,ants that are loaded with flowers buds and pods. I was trying to wrap my head around planting them out at the end of the month. Two if the plants are easily 2.5 feet tall and thriving. Hoping they turn into some huge monsters this season.

I would mix up a batch of hydro nutes and keep them going till your pods are done.

I have 3 1 gallon pots with 2 plants in each as some of my OW's, and they are just fine as "hydro-in-dirt", and the one with Inca berry and Bolivian rainbow are ever producing.

I've never concerned myself about repotting timing, I guess it would have an effect but might be countered by the new soil and its nutrition.
I've done worse, my scotch bonnet overwintered plant - I replaced all the soil as the flowers were plentiful but not setting fruit. Major root trauma but hey, I now have about 8 fruit on it so it must have worked!
Certainly better than root bound I'm sure.

Thanks for the input everyone. Planning to transplant them tomorrow anyway and see where things go from there. I definitely can't do it as a hydro setup, those nutes cost way too much money. I figure even if it's a set back, as long as the plant a survives and grows stronger, then it should be okay.

Back