• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transplanting w/photos

I've talked about this a lot and offered my ideas; here are some pics of potting up a red Costa Rica Habanero from an 8" Terracotta pot to a 20" Terracotta pot. The main theme here is breaking up the root ball. I didn't have anybody here to shoot so I couldn't get the detail I really wanted, but hopefully it illustrates the results of my method.

1-ReadyforTransplant.jpg

2-NiceRoots.jpg

3-RootMassacre.jpg

4-OneHourLater.jpg

Looks like a perfect transplant and plant will do great. You may have even been able to go another couple weeks before potting up. I throw mine in full shade or bring them indoors for a day or two after transplanting just to minimize stress. Once the roots get back on track, then back out in the heat. :mouthonfire:

Looks like a perfect transplant and plant will do great. You may have even been able to go another couple weeks before potting up. I throw mine in full shade or bring them indoors for a day or two after transplanting just to minimize stress. Once the roots get back on track, then back out in the heat. :mouthonfire:

Ditto! Cheers.

nice verne, i use terracotta pots too. i plan to break them when i pot up, did you do the same?

I did only once because the plant was so big I couldn't support it while inverting it; but normally no. I support the stem between my middle and ring finger, invert the plant and pot, give it a sharp downward bounce, and it usually just slides out.
The 8" pots are only $.30 USD here so it's not the price. ;)

Place your hand as in the photo. With the other hand pick up the pot and turn it over keeping your support hand on the soil; with a sharp downward bounce the whole root-ball should just slide out. Now you've got the plant and all the soil/root-ball in the palm of your hand. The nice thing about a root-bound plant is the root-ball comes out as one piece (re my first pics). Carry on with the potting up.

HandPlacement.jpg

what size bags do you usually end up in? I'm thinking about bags next year

when my plants are fully grown i'm gonna just buy 5 gallon buckets. more durable and i can carry it around if the weather gets overly bad.

Back