• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Transporting Chilies During Home Removal

I believe I may be moving back to the UK at some point soon and all my plants are budding. I don't really want to leave them here, but I don't really know the best way to transport them. My stuff will take 7-9 days to be shipped via road and I believe the plants wouldn't survive that.

My question is what would be the best way to send plants? Overnight courier? take them on the airplane myself? How should I wrap the plants?

How big are they? Cross Country Nurseries here in the States ships live plants all of the time. I think that it just depends how big they are and if you can quickly ship them.

some of them are 2 & 1/2 ft tall, not really that bushy. others are about 1 foot. I guess I would have to talk to a courier. How would it be possible to wrap them? I imagine leaves upwards wrapped in newspaper? What about the soil?

question. If a courier sends a plant with full knowledge that it is a plant and needs "kind" treatment but the plant dies what would you claim on the insurance?

That is a good question, I don't know about the insurance. I know that boxes made for lamps, sometimes will fit a bigger potted plant. That is how we transported our house plants when we moved.

You could always cut them back for the ride. Peppers don't mind a good trim anyway and it would help slow transpiration so they could go longer without water in the box. Plus less plant to get damaged.

Good luck

bulb box, yes good idea, however I would need them for my bulbs when taking them back.

as for the cutting, I was just getting my first set of naga's starting to grow and didn't really want them to fall off.

i imagine I should take them out of their pots also. I've got cement pots and they would cost a fortune to ship via courier. What do you think the best bet for packing the roots and soil is? cling film? tin foil?

I ship chile plants frequently. I prune them to a nub, root and branch, put them in plastic wrap in a cardboard box and send them.

You won't be able to afford to ship a full-size plant

I was thinking that as I'm shipping a whole load of stuff removal wise I may be able to get a good deal on overnight of a box of plants, haven't asked yet mind? I really don't want to cut them back as it's my first ever crop and it would seem like the last half year of patience and waiting was all for nothing.

Any concerns with agricultural restrictions? It would suck to introduce some strange bug or disease to a new ecosystem. Do they have to go through something similar to shipping pets internationally?
I'm curious because there's a chance we may move sometime soon and I was worried about shipping across state lines (US).

I doubt it, it's inter-europe, Finland to UK (although the UK does sometimes have tight laws about stuff like that), but it's definitely something to keep in mind, thanks.

Back