• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Treating "damping-off" in seedlings

Hi All,

I`m wondering whether damping off fungus can be treated in small seedlings - 1 set of true leaves. I just lost my first seedling ever to what I think is damping off. Yes, I overwatered them. They are at a constant 80°F and 75% humidity with grow lights 16 hours a day.

Anyway, is there a treatment I can use prophylactically on my other 90+ seedlings? This is my first year growing organically and on my transplants I`ve been using Mykos/molasses. The other seedlings aren`t too far from being transplanted, but are not quite ready yet.

I have something called Serenade Disease Control from AgraQuest, which is an organic fungicide containing B.subtilis. Worth trying in a situation like this?

Sorry to hear about the troubles! Try getting a fan on them. It'll help dry off the top layer of soil and it will strengthen the stems.

I lost a few to that as well for the first time this year. By the time you notice damage I'd say it's already too late, but I think I read that diluted peroxide can help.

Do a search to confirm.

There is a fan blowing 24/7. I`ll look into the peroxide treatment, thanks. I threw out the one seedling that fell over as soon as I saw it. Hopefully, I can treat the others before it spreads or to stop it spreading.

Thanks Guys.

The main thing to do is to keep the soil from staying to wet, so watch the watering. When its time to water treat it with a little hydrogen peroxide and h2O

watering from the bottom is key, and like mentioned, don't over water. it's MUCH better to under water than over water, in my experience. good luck and happy growing.

I use a turkey baster - looks like a big ol' needle and syringe - and inject water below the soil line. No fuss, no muss. Keeps the top bone dry and you don't have to fool with filling trays and cups and what not. Best of luck to whatever you choose!

look into "Thriam" for a real solution to soil born fungi.
i can tell you that i have never once had a thiram treated seed damp off ever. and ive poped at least 100 over a couple of years. most of them were for grafting trials so they didnt get past 2 weeks.
i had this old bag of peat sponges... they were getting on 2 years old, and apparently were rife with some sort of soil born pathogen. i poped like 20 Brigit locoto seeds, and every single one in the peat sponge eventually either stalled out or damped off. the seeds in rockwool were 100%.

i tossed the sponges, however i wish i had saved them. i would have liked to do a side by side of thriam treated and non treated, too bad i didnt think of it.

As others have said... Bottom watering when they are young and another thing I have done is filled a spray bottle with a camomile tea dilution (know to be an anti-fungal) and mist the plants to fend off things like this. It has worked well for me.

The dilution I use is 1 cup of tea with 32 oz. of water.

Best of luck.

I started to bottom water, and added some perlite to the top just to help dry it out a little. Seemed to help, but time will tell...

Thanks for all the info folks.

Cloning! Never thought of that DeNNiZ. Nice one.

Just so that you all know, I tried Serenade Disease Control from AgraQuest on a few seedlings I didn`t care about and it killed them all inside 2 days. These were seedlings with 2 sets of true leaves, about 1.5-2" tall, so probably very sensitive to growth conditions.

Back