• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tri-Leaf?

Im gonna get a better picture tonight. Got to work and didnt realize I had no good clear pictures of it. Anyone ever see a seedling with its first leaves be connected and form a triple leaf instead of 2 distinct separate leaves?

You can kinda see it in this picture. Bottom left.

QKKHudZ.jpg

Plants on the left and right are the same seeds. Yet this one looks way different.

RC0umzs.jpg

Yes, I have had tripple leafs and even pure white seedlings before. The white seedlings usually die within a week or 2 though.

U)<now said:
Yes, I have had tripple leafs and even pure white seedlings before. The white seedlings usually die within a week or 2 though.

Good to know! Im just trying to pick the best seedling and noticed that one was the oddball!

Yeah, if your picking certain ones to pot up or keep for yourself, obviously pick the fastest growing/healthiest ones or if you plan on keeping seeds from pods, I also mark which seedlings germinated first and keep seeds from those plants
Also, the tripple leaf would be cool to keep and see if it grows with any other genetic differences in the plant or pods

U)<now said:
Yeah, if your picking certain ones to pot up or keep for yourself, obviously pick the fastest growing/healthiest ones or if you plan on keeping seeds from pods, I also mark which seedlings germinated first and keep seeds from those plants
Also, the tripple leaf would be cool to keep and see if it grows with any other genetic differences in the plant or pods

Excellent advice! Thats what I had been doing but Im so new to this that its great to have other opinions! I have a sheet which I mark down when I planted and the day it sprouted. The top right was a day before the rest!

I was thinking on keeping it as well for that exact reason! I was like this is a genetic anomaly.... I wonder what else will happen! Probably will keep it!

Regular tricots (three distinct leaves) tend to grow normally after infancy, though some have reported noticeably quick or slower growth on occassion. Grow it out and see if you notice any differences in yours.

Oddy, one of my Trinidad Perfumes has a duo-leaf, two leaves that share an edge and branch, despite being an otherwisenormal plant.

I have 3 Naga Jolika this year that have3 leaves out of 10 seeds! Must be a genetic thing? Interesting nonetheless  :surprised:

That is interesting! Im gonna grow this one just to see. Think its kinda neat! I'll try and save/label some seeds and see if it passes the trait on.

Back