• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Trinidad douglah... red?

I ordered some trinidad douglah seeds from pepperlover.com, and I have one plant at the moment. What I'm stumped about though.. is that the pods ripened red, and not brown..
201208271016041.jpg

Douglah has been known to turn red. That specific pod does not look like a Douglah to me ,but a couple in the back kind of do. Any other pics?

Trinidad Red Douglah-Offspring maybe

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=140&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

I'll do a taste test when I get the chance. I hear that douglahs are smoky flavored, but what about the yellow 7?

I'll do a taste test when I get the chance. I hear that douglahs are smoky flavored, but what about the yellow 7?

Well for me, the douglah tasted just like a yellow , but less flavor.. It was very mild flavored but very hot. The yellow 7 tasted kinda floral i guess?? idk ive never eaten a flower (ok lies. ive had pumpkin flowers and a toothache plant bud but neither are like flowery tasting.. the later is gross), but it was different than all ofther supers besides the douglah and surprisingly enough, the Dorset naga which was in between the douglah and yellow 7 in flavor intensity. I liked all three. It should just taste noticeably differnt than abhut, scorpion of any kind, or any other pepper besides those 2 imo. Even barrackpore 7 was gross to me lol

Well for me, the douglah tasted just like a yellow , but less flavor.. It was very mild flavored but very hot. The yellow 7 tasted kinda floral i guess?? idk ive never eaten a flower (ok lies. ive had pumpkin flowers and a toothache plant bud but neither are like flowery tasting.. the later is gross), but it was different than all ofther supers besides the douglah and surprisingly enough, the Dorset naga which was in between the douglah and yellow 7 in flavor intensity. I liked all three. It should just taste noticeably differnt than abhut, scorpion of any kind, or any other pepper besides those 2 imo. Even barrackpore 7 was gross to me lol

I heard the douglahs taste smoky.. I know the scorpions have a fruity flavor to them. what is the most distinguishable difference between the two in terms of flavor?

between which two? the douglah and yellow 7.. tbh they taste almstthe same to me but the douglah is very mild... its a flat taste too. nothign too sharp or bitter at all in the pepper i tried at least.. I can see a douglah being called smokey... It didnt taste very smokey tho.. just mild, but I can see that description because it felt liek it would fit right into a barbeque sauce in powder form or as a dry rub for ribs and other meat that is grilled which would compliment the smokey flavor.

between which two? the douglah and yellow 7.. tbh they taste almstthe same to me but the douglah is very mild... its a flat taste too. nothign too sharp or bitter at all in the pepper i tried at least.. I can see a douglah being called smokey... It didnt taste very smokey tho.. just mild, but I can see that description because it felt liek it would fit right into a barbeque sauce in powder form or as a dry rub for ribs and other meat that is grilled which would compliment the smokey flavor.

I don't know.. I took the pod and opened it. It had an aroma much like the TS. Upon tasting it, you're right, the flavor is mild, not exactly fruity like the TS. The heat is also unique, unlike the TS, the heat simply hits all at once, not slowly like the TS. Would anybody care for a sample to confirm what it is?

dsc00612pw.jpg

dsc00613qm.jpg

dsc00614cz.jpg

Looks like some type of red 7 pot or maybe a cross.
The Douglah should have a smokey, nutty earthy taste. Thats what I got from the few i have tasted.
Where as the Yellow 7 tasted more fruity with a touch of citrus IMO.

The douglahs I grew in the past had some of the the thinnest skin of any pepper I have ever grown. They would literally dry out by themselves on a table without molding just about as easily as my thai peppers. Yours looks like the skin is a bit thicker, so my vote is for a cross.

Right now.. I'm trying to think of what the culprit may be. The plant happens to be next to my TS plant. Maybe that's why the cross occurred. If any of the pods ripen brown, I think that would confirm this.

Right now.. I'm trying to think of what the culprit may be. The plant happens to be next to my TS plant. Maybe that's why the cross occurred. If any of the pods ripen brown, I think that would confirm this.

You wouldent see the cross untill the next gerneration. The Cross would have happened to the pod the seeds came from.

looks like a seven pot to me... i've had seven pot plants put off both brown and red pods from the same plant depending on environmental conditions.

personally, i think the douglahs taste like battery acid dipped in napalm.

looks like a seven pot to me... i've had seven pot plants put off both brown and red pods from the same plant depending on environmental conditions.

personally, i think the douglahs taste like battery acid dipped in napalm.

Would you mind having one of my pods to confirm what it is? From what you guys describe, this may definitely be a cross.

more likely it's just showing off its mixed up trinidad genetics. douglah is effectively a seven pot brown to begin with.

sure, i'll give it a shot. pm me.

Back