• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Trinidad Moruga Scorpion- Hottest possible?

I was wondering if the Moruga is the hottest possible pepper, or if the record will be broken yet again in a few years.
In 2011, there were several record-breakers, first the Infinity, then the Naga Viper, then Butch T, and then Moruga in early 2012. Since then, the record hasn't been broken.
So, do you think the Moruga is at the ceiling, or do you think there are hotter peppers to be developed? 

Definitely not the ceiling.  I believe it will continue to be beaten.  I think the question should be, will the next pepper king truly be what it's being called.  The varieties seem to be a mess with people not isolating and such.  Trading unstable varieties, renaming, etc. 

There is definitely a hotter pepper out there.

The chocolate Bhutlah needs to be tested! The few that have reviewed it said it was hotter than a Brown or Chocolate Moruga. The Brown and Chocolate Moruga are said to be hotter than the regular moruga.

Right now I guarantee there is a pepper with an SHU of 2.5 million, probably some type of Moruga, or 7 Pot Brown, or Douglah, but we will not know. Most of the hottest claims are from specific plants, or even specific pods that give these hot readings. But overall the Morugas or Douglahs or whatever may read 1.4 million SHU, still plenty hot!

That's the biggest problem with the "next worlds hottest" is it all depends on specific pods or pepper plants somehow producing an abnormally hot pod. So by chance sometimes we do find them and market them as 2 million or whatever, all that means is one time a study was done and it was found that some reached 2 million. But not all.

If I had to guess which pepper will be the next hottest I would say the Brown Moruga, Chocolate Bhutlah (have heard those are vicious), or if a 7 Pot Brown and Bhut Scorpion are mixed, or a Brown Moruga and Bhutlah, that would be one mean pod.

But once you're over 1 million, I think it's safe to say it's hot enough.

There is already a pepper that can beat it. Has it been stressed, grown out and tested like the moruga scorpion? no thats the problem.

I think the big problem is growing these other peppers to compare with the 2 mill SHUs that made the Moruga. When testing peppers that have been grown side by side in the same, exact way, we have tested at least 3 that beat the Morugas every single time. In order of hottness, the Red Brains are hotter than MOrugas, then the Reapers and most hot so far, 7 pod Primos. Even though I didn't grow the pepper, so I can't say about a side by side test, the 7 pod Lava was also hotter. What all of these came down to if tested, I have no idea, but if someone were to grow all of these with the same conditions that made the 2 mill. Moruga, all of those would beat it out. If I am growing a Moruga that is 2 mill, which I'm sure I'm not, I'd have to guess in comparison, the brain would be about 2.4, reaper at 3, and primo at 3.3. Maybe someone out there will do that some day. Tom

A few varieties of 7 Pots including Douglah were grown out same time in same field with Moruga and Trinidad Butch T. So all were in same conditions. People seem to forget that this was an 11 month study. Nobody knew what would score highest at CPI until study was done. People can talk and watch Youtube vids or even send to their private college lab. On any given day or season all these peppers and superhot crosses have the potential to beat one another. Moruga hit the peak in 2011 but whos to say Douglah could not beat it? Or 7 Pot Jonah or Brain Strain? Personally I think all future records should be rejected. Botanicare and other Hydro Formula companies now make products that increase oils in Pot and yes they will increase oils in Peppers too. So now peppers can be juiced!!! No need to stress anymore. I have Brainstrains, Reapers, Primos and Reapers growing in both my East Coast and Southern California fields. Depending on the day you pick them any one of them might come out on top! Its always fun to watch these Forums or Facebook and hear all the talk about whats hottest. I sent out Ghost Scorpions to a few dozen people last year. Every single person said they kicked the ass of the Reaper and the Moruga. Then I sent them to a lab and neither Red or Peach Ghost Scorpion even broke 1,000,000 SHU!! Shows you just how much the experts really know:)

Yup.
I have had single pods that have beat the Moruga and Primo, as well as the Reaper.
Single pods is the key.
I have had a Jalapeno that was equal in heat to a Butch T-----but only one freaky pod.

I am sure there is some obsessive/compulsive grower (prolly a former grower of "cash crops") sitting in a climate controlled grow lab with shelves full of chemicals and a gas chromotaghaph trying to find someone to sneak a pack of seeds into a Fukushima cooling pond to soak for a bit to produce a future Godzilla pepper.

I have absolutely no freaking doubt about it. :twisted:

Why the Red Brain Strain has not been labelled the hottest at least once I have no idea. Those are beyond nuclear. I wonder if crossing increases the heat exponentially? It seems when a new cross comes out it is double the heat one or the other of the varieties was to begin with. Just my observation. Anyone have a clue about any of this?

I dont think the crosses are any hotter. I think the people who sell seeds hype them as being the next hottest and then people buy into it. As for Red Brain Strain maybe I will put up the money to have a lab do a few tests. Nobody else has and I am curious to see some numbers.

The thing is, that 2M+ Moruga is already more than 12% capsaicin by weight (excluding water), right?  Obviously there has to be a point at which there isn't enough other stuff to actually build a pod around all those capsaicin molecules.

I guess the ultimate pepper would be thin-walled, basically spherical (for maximum strength under pressure) with a little structural support from placental "ribs", and the plant would blindly secrete more capsaicin into it until the pod blew up with the stuff like Hell's own water balloon.  The bigger the pod, the higher the volume-to-surface-area ratio, so the higher the SHU.  How big can you grow it before it pops...? :-)

-NT

I got to sample a few peppers from a trade I did with a friend he gave me bhut Indian carbon, regular bhuts hp22b reapers , moruga scorpions , Butch T scorpion, the plain bhuts Indian carbons, and C reapers , were way hotter than the butch t and morugas , with the Carolina reapers were the hottest what was real cool was that the reapers were very tasty even tho they would wreck my gut if I wzsent ready for it I kept going back to them same with the Moruga great flavor more like a 7 pot than a BT scorpion believe me I'm growing he reapers next year based on flavor alone I don't care to grow any supers that taste like gasoline and tree bark instead I'd rather grow a flavor full pepper that is above 700k shu than a yuck one that is twice that in shu so is there. Pepper hotter than 2 mill yes

The TS Morugas I grew this year were the hottest things I ever tried. They were obviously hotter than the Butch Ts. The bhuts, hybrids, and naga landraces are not even in the same ballpark. They are packed with more placental tissue than the other superhots I grow. It could be conditions or there might be different strains of TS Morugas out there.

I think we will see hotter peppers come out. 

Edit: If your ghost peppers and Primos are hotter than your TS Morugas, you are probably not growing TS Morugas.

I don't understand the whole heat competition thing?? What we have are a crap load of pepper varieties that are pretty much inedible by the 99% of the general public.

How about the industry focuses on taste for a while?

That said... I'm actually a bit disappointed with my Morugas... Amazing flavor but useless when you can't eat one in its entirety.

tested today my first Butch T MS Strain from Butch Himself.....    My god  easily in the moruga and reaper range if not higher!    destroy anyone here and what i was earing is " hottest eaten in life"

Back