• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Dot Com said:
agreed. Have to take the bad w/ the good. You are doing all that can be done to mitigate so that is that. As others said, many of your plants have a healthy colour to them & that would be due to your vigilance & persistence. I try to stay vigilant w/ my grows as well.
Cheers for stopping in bro.

Yeah its all about staying on top of things here ... If you neglect them in my situation you end up with dead plants pretty quick. I really should downgrade the amount of plants again and just choose 4-5 plants to grow in giant containers .. Would probably solve most issues I think.

The plants made a nice comeback Trippa!

I think once they reach a certain size they shrug off the mites to some degree, either that or the good guys come to the rescue. Mine are in and out until the weather is a bit warmer, I noticed quite a few wasps working the plants this last weekend.

Wishing you continued sucess!

Devv said:
The plants made a nice comeback Trippa!

I think once they reach a certain size they shrug off the mites to some degree, either that or the good guys come to the rescue. Mine are in and out until the weather is a bit warmer, I noticed quite a few wasps working the plants this last weekend.

Wishing you continued sucess!
Cheers Devv!! Yeah happy enough with there recovery (not sure I will ever be 100% happy with my grows .. Always want to tweak something ..)
Yeah the older plants do seem to be a little less effected ... Although when infested they don't seem to set pods easily ... Even with perfect conditions
Whereas the younger plants actual overall health is much more severely hit ... And as I learnt this year can be fatal...
Wish I had a few natural insects about ... Don't see any insects this year other then fly's, mites, ants, aphids and mosquitos ... Last year I had hover fly's, predatory mites, spiders ...

Nice pics.  That mystery one got some cili goronong in it?  or is it a secret ;)
Trippa said:
Woke up this morning contemplating skipping work to watch my Chilli's grow with a beer and good music .... Its very tempting right now :D
Do it!

Having the good bug environment is the way to go.  Last season I got mites on all my plants bad so I sulfured them and they came back pretty quickly, so they got sulfured again, came back again.  Then they got sulfured and had some predatory mites dropped on them, after that it was game over. 

This season when I saw mite damage I dosed them with sulfur once and haven't seen them return.  That was weeks ago.  So even though I ripped out all the chillies from last season I think the predatory mites must have lived on in the rest of the garden and are now doing their thing back on the chillies where the mites are.  The mite breeder said that wettable sulfur was the least damaging to good bugs.  I'm still waiting for the bloody things to come back. 

I hope you get on top of the evil things.

Devv said:
Isn't that everyday? ;)
Haha ... Yeah it sure is devv!! But this morning it was the Friday morning at the end of a week after a metal music fest last weekend ... As you can imagine work wasn't my top idea of fun at 6am :ROFL:
megamoo said:
Nice pics.  That mystery one got some cili goronong in it?  or is it a secret ;)
Do it!

Having the good bug environment is the way to go.  Last season I got mites on all my plants bad so I sulfured them and they came back pretty quickly, so they got sulfured again, came back again.  Then they got sulfured and had some predatory mites dropped on them, after that it was game over. 

This season when I saw mite damage I dosed them with sulfur once and haven't seen them return.  That was weeks ago.  So even though I ripped out all the chillies from last season I think the predatory mites must have lived on in the rest of the garden and are now doing their thing back on the chillies where the mites are.  The mite breeder said that wettable sulfur was the least damaging to good bugs.  I'm still waiting for the bloody things to come back. 

I hope you get on top of the evil things.
Cheers for stopping in Mega!!
I am keeping it under my hat for now Mega I am only up to growing out the f2 generation of it along with the f1 I already have growing and I have no idea if I am going to get my desired traits in any f2 plants let alone f3 ... Its looking promising in some respects ... Certainly the pod shape and taste and plant look I am liking ..
If I get it looking OK I will like some people to help to grow out the f3s (or even some more f2s if I don't find what I seek). Me and Paul G so far are the only ones with the genetics no one else seemed to show any interest in growing out the f2s when I offered last so I just decided to keep it going with me and Paul. I was interested initially in getting 3-5 growers onboard to grow out a few f2s.
But I will confirm there is no goronong in it ;) (or is there ;) :D )

Nah. There isn't.

Yeah would love to try the predatory mites but I only have the balcony and I am not sure how well they would stick about as there is no surrounding vegetation ... Its almost like growing indoors in a way ... I might give them a shot next season as its coming to the cooler weather where the mites aren't such an issue and it might just be easier to keep whacking them with sulphur if and when need be

Potted up 4 of my oldest plants yesterday (2-3 years ) from there 4.5 litre ( 1.2 us gallon) pots into a 14.5 litre (3.8 us gallon) pot for the Douglah "alphanerdz" and 9 litre (2.4 gallon ) pots for the other 3 (Wild Brazil, TSMB and cili Goronong
They won't know themselves with at least double or triple the root space after so many years ... I am surprised they did as well as they did considering the severly limited room they had

GA Growhead said:
Those guys are going to be stoked with all that extra root zone!
Yeah they sure should be GA!! Although I think they would be more stoked if I had stuck with my original plan of less plants and geo-textile fabric pots with perlite amended potting soil ... It didn't happen again. Mainly because I never got organised and because most of them were already in pots and potting up on my balcony is a pain in the ass because of lack of room ... Next season ... (Always next season ;) )

I completed the song ...parsley has been growing for a little while. I have my first sage seeds up this weekend .. I grew Rosemary from cutting using the water immersion method and is now potted up ... (I have another one poking out roots now in the water ... Easiest way to cultivate Rosemary I think just make sure the starting rosemary is healthy and fresh)
And the thyme is also up and underway
All in terracotta pots on the other balcony.

I also have another 2 terracotta pots with Basil in one (the standard stuff not Thai basil) which is up now and another large container with dwarf lavender which has also reared its head this weekend. Apparently it takes 16-20 weeks to start flowering!! Still should look OK in the meantime

Pretty pissed off ... Only the second pod from my f1 cross was due to be picked tonight after Monday work ... Got home and .... GONE!! F%£king birds!!! I watched and waited for that pod and all for nothing ... Was planning on taking some photos of it whole and then sliced open ... Not to mention eating it ... FAaaaa&hK
And an equally bright red TSMB right beside it was completely untouched ... Go figure ... After everything else this year I am fast running out of patience with my grow space

Sorry 'bout that chief (remember Get Smart, I know I'm old). It sucks, and the birds, bugs, and the rest get a ton of my yield each season. We have yet to eat a peach, grape, or pear here. So we just plant more,hmmm hasn't worked so far..

Hopefully it's loaded down!

I wish I could buy you a beer, or even better a stiff one, maybe 10? :drunk:

Hang in there, you're over due!

Devv said:
Sorry 'bout that chief (remember Get Smart, I know I'm old). It sucks, and the birds, bugs, and the rest get a ton of my yield each season. We have yet to eat a peach, grape, or pear here. So we just plant more,hmmm hasn't worked so far..

Hopefully it's loaded down!

I wish I could buy you a beer, or even better a stiff one, maybe 10? :drunk:

Hang in there, you're over due!
I watched get smart reruns on tv after school when I was younger ... The opening and closing sequences must be one of the more iconic for TV shows ever made.

Cheers Devv ... Things aren't so bad I guess but the limitations are starting to frustrate me no end .. Its hard being brought up on a farm for 18 years and having streams and forests, orchards, pasture and freedom I am only now realising how lucky I was and how much I miss my land where my roots are embedded ... Not to mention the views of Mount Taranaki everyday ...
Anyway I digress ... Cheers for the positive words ... Maybe I do need a few drinks ;)

Glad to catch up on the mite battle. Felt like I had a similar situation with cabbage worms last fall.

Did you end up taking the grow day? A botanical health day if you will?

Hey Tristen.  Man, you have had quite a go 'round this year.  Guess you'll have to start putting up
bird netting around your plants.  Dang.

Here are pics of your plants.  The Front row is the Scotch bonnet TFM 2nd gen. and the Bird's Eye
HTM, which has about five to seven tops.  Very bushy!   In the back are the Mystery Crosses.  
The taller is the F1 and the shorter the F2.  I am waiting patiently for plant out - these guys are
screaming for a transplant!
trippa_DSC1394a_zps24dc5c26.jpg

Trippa-
Good to see you recovering from the mite infestation-knock on wood,sacrifice chickens, etc, thats all I'll say on that matter.
The White Fatalii looks happy-I've got a few started again this year, interesting taste without any grassy bitterness when they go ripe-generally they start pale green,pale yellow then whiten.

"Woke up this morning contemplating skipping work to watch my Chilli's grow with a beer and good music .... Its very tempting right now :D"
Good advice! Thats what I did today more or less-everyday in Houston is a work day when I'm here-yes ,even Easter(if I want to get paid for the whole time anyway).
I had to run out and "build some dirt"(MG potting mix and Perlite), get some 'squito dunks and 20 cups , my last batch of starts is takin heavy fungus gnat losses.Fish tacos and cold beer, then sun the kiddies in broken shade and load the cups, transplant em(here shortly) to cups , and hope for the best.

Have a good one-
DJ

Back