Tropical aroma and Flavor

Hey:

When I buy Habeneros from the grocery store it seems like it is a bit of pot luck. They may be Habs, or Scotch Bonnets, or something else; I cannot tell one from the other. Sometimes they are just hot and clean chile flavored, maybe with a little pineapple and citrus flavor. Other times I get one with a ton of floral, tropical aroma and flavor. Not just pineapple, but kiwi, passion fruit kind of aroma. I want to try to grow this kind, and I would like to try to get some consistancy.

So I don’t know if it is the soil, and conditions they grew in, or if one particular varietal is more prone to those tropical aromas.

What variety of chile should I try to grow to have a good chance of the tropical nose? And What growing conditions might help with this?

Thanks, Sean

SeanStuart said:
Hey:

When I buy Habeneros from the grocery store it seems like it is a bit of pot luck. They may be Habs, or Scotch Bonnets, or something else; I cannot tell one from the other. Sometimes they are just hot and clean chile flavored, maybe with a little pineapple and citrus flavor. Other times I get one with a ton of floral, tropical aroma and flavor. Not just pineapple, but kiwi, passion fruit kind of aroma. 

I can't really comment on which type of pepper would be best for you to grow, but I have the same issue at grocery stores.  It seems that at most of them, anything that is orange or red, and isn't shaped like a jalapeno or serrano is referred to as a habanero.  I have bought some that were milder than jalapenos, and then some that I swear were some kind of mutant intent on destroying digestive system.  So, yeah... it is kind of luck of the draw.  Personally, when I think of tropical peppers, I think scotch bonnet, but there will be as many opinions on that as there are members on this site.  :)

I would suggest you try several different varieties. I used to like orange habs until I accidentally (Burpee mislabeled some seeds) grew Caribbean red habs a few years ago. I had no idea a habanero could taste so good! Tasting the two side by side really accentuated the depth of flavor of the red ones.
     I'm not saying the reds are better - that's just my opinion. But trying to replicate the flavor of a store-bought hab is kind of like setting out to grow a tomato that tastes like store-bought. You have no idea what you're missing until you grow your own!
     I have read (on wikipedia, I believe) that wet soil can lead to bitter tasting habs. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's the extent of my knowledge regarding how environmental conditions can drastically change pepper flavor. I think it has much more to do with variety and how ripe a pod is when it is picked.
     You also might want to look into trying a few varieties of C. baccatum, like lemon drop peppers. I have heard they have very tropical, fruity flavor. I can't speak from experience, though - this will be my first year growing them.
     Good luck!

I have some orange hab seeds if you'd like PM me. As dash said there are much better ones out there but since i grew these by mistake as well i have some seeds. Very fruity.

And  :welcome:

next time you get a good tasting one, take the seeds out and use them  :dance:

Otherwise get scotch bonnet, Caribbean red, and red savina. People love Aji's as well you could try that.

Look for the user Nigel on here, he has tons of reviews. 

That is a great thought Dash. Trying them side by side would be best.

I did just that OK, I have some orange hab seeds from a grocery store chile that I will try and thanks for the offer PrimeTime.

Think I'll try Datils. I have read they are similar to Habs but sweeter and more fruity. Along with the orange habs, and a few other not-so-hots.

Back