• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Tropical Pepper Co.

Other day I picked up a bottle of tropical pepper companies scotch bonnet sauce. I've avoided it for a while as it looked like a slimy sauce and i've never had a good experience with those. 

I dumped some on my plate and sure enough it was slimy not a gross slime but had some bounce to it and wasn't overly appealing visually to say the least. Too much starch to it. 

Heat: I wasn't expecting too much heat only being scotch bonnets but the label was a bit misleading

I'd give it a 3.2 (being generous) out of 10 on heat. Certainly not a "WOW" on that scale. 

Taste: taste made up for the gross texture and lack of heat, had a rather decent flavor, fruity, could taste the bonnets. Would go good marinaded on some pork chops or chicken. 

Would I buy it again? Probably not but I will finish the bottle. 

I would definitely recommend the Ghost Pepper sauce from the Tropical Pepper Co. They also make a Scorpion sauce. I have yet to try this however..local store has yet to carry it. The Ghost sauce is a pure pepper forward sauce - pure Bhut flavor! It has a beautiful color, nice heat (not extreme like some 'ghost' sauces- the hottest/'creeping' heat of any of the more widely available commercial sauces I have tried actually), and it has the more 'traditional' consistency...not the thickened/jelly like qualities of the Scotch sauce you mentioned. I remember  all their Habanero ones are like that as well! It did not bother more so much texture wise, it does stay put on food though - the absolute opposite of any vinegar based sauce (could be looked at as an advantage for purposing how to use it with food.) But go with the Ghost - I know lots of people out there really like it! Its a staple now in my cabinet.  :P

I keep both the scorpion as well as the ghost on hand. It's weird to me but the ghost, with its 500,000 SVU rating tastes a lot better, and also seems very close in the heat level. The Scorpion is labeled at 780,000 SVU. I own a catering truck (roach coach) and I have to replace the Ghost about 4 times as often, and it's not because my customers can't handle the heat!

Also, last time I checked Amazon they were $9.99/bottle, at the Fresh Market they are always in stock for $2.99.

I didnt like this sauce at all, in general I do not like any sauces from Tropical Pepper Company. 

This sauce in particular..... the texture does come off a bit slimy as another above described it.  But for me the taste has a very heavy garlic content and it has a terrible aftertaste.  I coud taste this sauce all day after eating it for lunch and not in a good way. 

I didnt like there Ghost pepper sauce either, it has great heat but not much in the taste department. 

I wont buy any sauces from this company ever again. 

Back