• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Trying some compost tea

Went to Walmart and bought a dual line aquarium pump, some clear air line and two 5" air stones.
I ran it for 1 hr. to let the chlorine gas off and then put 20 oz. compost and 2 tsp. molasses.

CompostAerator.jpg

Got head yet?

No it hasn't Rich. It had a little last night but I stirred the mixture a little and now it has no head on it.
Did I not put enough compost? Maybe the chlorine in the water was not all gassed off yet? Too much aeration from two 5" air stones or not enough?
It smells earthy and not pungent so it is not anaerobic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I didn't let the chlorine from the city water gas off and it took a little longer to produce head than what Guru specified....but my friend, when that sh!t caught up, it produced an extreme head!

Yeah ya gotta bubble that chlorine out for a bit. If you can still smell the cholorine, then don't pitch the goodies yet. No worries, it will happen. Throw some molasses in there and feed em.

I think they look slightly better but nothing spectacular.
If this is only applied two or three times a season I don't see where it's going to help that much.
- Guru's soil is amended to be about the best it can be (nutrients, microbes, food, etc.), thats why he only does it a few times per year cause he doesn't really need to otherwise.

I think this has to be tweaked in some ways to be really beneficial in different ways. It seems the more diverse a mixture is...the more possibility it may have to be more beneficial. Grass clippings in my recent batches of teas have produced head to the point that it was running out of the bucket...also, I have been using a 1/3 of the bottle of molasses for a 5 gallon batch - hope that isn't too much. I can tell a difference in some of my plants...mostly the mature ones. The main thing I want now is to produce a nice thick biofilm on the plant leaves to prevent bug damage and bacterial damage.

I wonder how many times you can spray your plants with this AACT without causing damage? I sprayed everything well last nite with the addition of a wetting agent...then it rained today and I question how much is left of what I sprayed....

Lol I spray these guys onces a week with some sort of tea haha.

The whole "over caring" thing is way more forgiving on organics. Mind you, my Tea is usually not full strength. My plants look spectacular and are growing fast without a single aphid on them. The only pest I find my self battling is fungus gnats, and they are not to damaging if you let your plants dry out in between watering. My problem is seeing a AACT with just water in it and then I get tempted to add stuff. I just got a new blender so that makes it even worse :rolleyes:

I have the patients of a 10 year old ADHD kid. If I was using Synthetics I would be burning the %&!^ out of my plants.

My plants have that glow to them like a woman in her 3rd trimester.

Purple Bhut
CIMG0041-3.jpg

Black pearl crossed with ???
CIMG0046-2.jpg

Fatalii
CIMG0042-2.jpg

Notice the water marks on the plex window? haha I don't even clean it anymore.

You can foliar aact everyday. You can soil drench with aact every watering. Totally safe and good. Have at it! Its free!

Then I will. Thank You. :cool:
Now I need to see if there is some usable compost in the Smith & Hawken Biostack bin. ;)
My new electric shredder makes compost much faster as it shreds down to less than 1/4" pieces.

also, I have been using a 1/3 of the bottle of molasses for a 5 gallon batch - hope that isn't too much.

That is way too much. I put 2 TBS. in 5 gallons of water with about 32 oz of compost straight into the water.

Back