• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Trying to calculate how much soil I need to make this season

I plan on using eight, 17 gallon containers, ten, 10 gallon Root Pouch fabric bags, four, 5 gallon Lowe's buckets with drain holes and probably a few 5 gallon nursery pots for all of my growing this season. I have a good amount of compost and make my own soil but I am hoping I have enough for all of the above.
I have never grown on this scale so I am not sure how to calclate what I will need. Guess I will have to do some math. :think:

I'm going the inexpensive route for mine and using straight up topsoil from Home Depot for $1.50 a bag. Each bag is enough for two 5 gallon nursery pots, and for my needs right now, it's plenty, as I'm using vegetable fertilizer, liquid worm castings and kelp/seaweed mix.

Once I get going with a good operation and feel like improving/expanding, I'll do better soil mixes, but because of budget constraints on my end, I kinda have to go the inexpensive route

elcap1999 said:
I'm going the inexpensive route for mine and using straight up topsoil from Home Depot for $1.50 a bag. Each bag is enough for two 5 gallon nursery pots, and for my needs right now, it's plenty, as I'm using vegetable fertilizer, liquid worm castings and kelp/seaweed mix.

Once I get going with a good operation and feel like improving/expanding, I'll do better soil mixes, but because of budget constraints on my end, I kinda have to go the inexpensive route
Maybe get a 3.8 cu.ft. bag of peat to mix with that top soil to lighten it up and help drainage? Only about $10.00..

Back