• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

trying to figure out....

If I'm behind or not.... I don't remember the time from sowing seeds to when I got my first successful pollination last year....

I sowed most of my seeds mid to late april and had most sprouting the first week or may.... its pretty much august and I havent had a flower yet, although some or pretty close now.... with this same time frame, since I started late june last year, I shouldnt have gotten anything until late september, early october.... I honestly don't remember....

Is three months normal from sowing seeds to flowering to first pods? I should note a few plants are on their second set of buds now, I had issues with overwatering and chemical burns, either from too strong a mixture of pest oil or drifting pesticides around the yard....
And my plants are much shorter than last years.... southern cali this year, oceanside/camp pendleton area and okinawa, japan last year.... in-ground this year, in containers on a mostly shaded balcony last year....

In Ca. we can grow pretty much year round.
Don't worry about it.
You'll get pods even up to christmas depending on what you are growing.
I get pods from Annuums year round.Baccatums like our winters too.
In summer it gets too hot for some to set buds so fall will be bud set time.
It's not like we have a winter here. LOL
Not much cold weather in S,Cal. to mess with your plants much.

This year is one of the worst for us farmers in the south
The spring was late
When summer finally arrived the temperature was not as high as they should be
This caused many problems
The plants were not growing as fast
The too much rain and cloudy sky caused helped mites spreading

But hopefully the weather turns better

I now notice the weather changes environmental advocates always reminding us with
It is serious situation when the temperature change like this
:(

smokemaster said:
In Ca. we can grow pretty much year round.
Don't worry about it.
You'll get pods even up to christmas depending on what you are growing.
I get pods from Annuums year round.Baccatums like our winters too.
In summer it gets too hot for some to set buds so fall will be bud set time.
It's not like we have a winter here. LOL
Not much cold weather in S,Cal. to mess with your plants much.
Good to know.... I have a bit of everything growing.... biggest plant is abiut 9 in tall.... tomatoes are pushing 3', not sure if they're less picky about conditions than peppers.... I have a lot of mystery/mixed seed trades so I don't jnow exactly what I have, but my labelled seeds include santa fe grande, butch t, purple flash, serrano, rocoto and manzano, scotch bonnet, pequin, 7 pot primo, pimenta de neyde to name a few....

PepperLover said:
The spring was late

But hopefully the weather turns better

I now notice the weather changes environmental advocates always reminding us with
It is serious situation when the temperature change like this
:(
I had this happen to me this season as well :( . I'm in the Southeast.

All my plants have slowed down setting pods and ripening. The weather has warmed back up this week so hopefully things will kick into high gear again.

PepperLover said:
The spring was late

Same thing here in the midwest, had to wait an extra half a month to get plants out due to cold weather, mostly cloudy days since then but the rain always seemed to split and pass to the north and south until a few weeks ago.   If there is an upside it is that this is the first year I can remember where the lawn hasn't turned the slightest bit brown and that without watering it with a sprinkler at all.

It hit my okra the hardest, couldn't get the seed to sprout due to cool weather so they should be two foot taller.  Tomatoes were delayed about half a month, but oddly the peppers are almost on schedule compared to last year.  I somewhat attribute the latter to having more available rain water to use in place of tap water this year.

Back