• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tucson AZ Growers

How do you guys water?
I'm a noob at this as this is my 2nd season. Had somewhat of a success last year with commercially bought plants, however this year I'd decided to grow my own. The reason I mention this is because I was told commercial plants are bread to be drought resistant and what not while seeds a well just that. I have a raised bed and was wondering if watering down here is any different.

I'm not from Tucson but I know it gets awful hot there and your growing conditions are very similar to where I live (Adelaide)
If you can water in the morning every morning you will be fine. You might not need to water that often but if you're able to if you have the need to you will be fine

Thanks Powelly, I can I'm up at 5 am everyday. Residual from being a Marine. So a good soak in the am how about at dusk?

Elpicante said:
Thanks Powelly, I can I'm up at 5 am everyday. Residual from being a Marine. So a good soak in the am how about at dusk?

I had friends out there for years and she always had a great garden even though it spent a lot of time looking like hardpan.  Even though it is desert, you don't end up needing much more water than you would most anywhere else.

You should be able to get away most days with a good soak early AM or late PM.  Best to soak them good before the sun gets up or after it has been down for a bit and things have cooled a tad.  During the hottest days, you will likely want to hit them AM and PM.  Don't sweat it if they look half-dead on those 112 degree days, though.  They'll recover in the evening.  Any water you put on them during the day will evaporate pretty much immediately and if you happen to get any on the leaves it can create a lens effect and fry the hell out of them.

I'm in Phoenix. I water in the early AM, about 5:30 each day before I head off to work. My babies live in 14" square pots, filled to about 2" from the top with Miracle-Gro fertilizer (Regular, not the moisture control), and then they have a wood mulch up to the top. They will also do just great with water in the evenings. More than once a day is not necessary, but I have seen that they get pretty wilted if I try to give them a day inbetween. I always water at the bottom, as watering over the top seems to encourage bacterial spotting. I apply half strength fertilizer every other weekend.

Elpicante said:
How do you guys water?
I'm a noob at this as this is my 2nd season. Had somewhat of a success last year with commercially bought plants, however this year I'd decided to grow my own. The reason I mention this is because I was told commercial plants are bread to be drought resistant and what not while seeds a well just that. I have a raised bed and was wondering if watering down here is any different.

Where'd you get your seeds, brother? I am in my 2nd as well, and only recently came to understand how hybrid peppers work. I just thought I could save seeds from stuff I ate at the store, but no, that's not how it works lol. Fortunately, I do have a whole bunch of fresh seeds I just got from NMSU, and I think they're going to do great.

I water my container plants (pots and wallybags) in the morning, and position them for some mid-day and afternoon shade beneath a big mesquite tree.

As the plants get bigger, their water needs may outstrip their roots, or the soil's ability to hold water.  Inspect the plants in the evening and lightly water any that are wilted.  I'd water in the evening only if they need it.  IMO, a big PM drench leaves them cool and overly wet for too long, inviting root problems or classic "over-watering" symptoms. 
Wilting isn't the end of the world - they'll do bounce back; but it does stress the plants quite a bit.  Best avoided, if possible. 
Water needs go up substantially in hot + windy weather.  
With a raised bed, I'd mulch the surface and shade or cover the sides of the bed to reduce mid-day heat getting into the soil and roots.

Back