food Turkey Spice Prep

Yesterday I took apart a Turkey and spice him and then vacuum packed him to marinate.

1/2 cup each of the spices and 1/4 cup salt. will keep in fridge for about couple weeks then in the freezer, pending usage :)
New Ginger powder is very hot, just from a taste my nose run for over a half hour lol

_A145172_Spices-1000_zpssghtcmyr.jpg

_A145175_SpiceMix-1000_zpsuogbikbo.jpg

_A145173_TurkeyCoatingLegs-1000_zpsuf2plwl3.jpg

_A145174_CoatedTurkeyParts-1000_zps5ztsbdq3.jpg

PA144342_TurkeyVacPacked-1000_zpsyhud87qb.jpg

Spice wise or being cooked wise :) Ive had stuff for a month in their when its well preserved. Vacuum packing works real well.

dragonsfire said:
Spice wise or being cooked wise :) Ive had stuff for a month in their when its well preserved. Vacuum packing works real well.
Yes I know I vacuum seal everything but only in the fridge for many weeks for raw poultry seems very strange to me but I have never tried it. 

Didnt look... their in stock only during holidays not full time. Last year I brined them for 5 days and Vpacked them never had a problem, could also have been I brined them a bit long, was a bit salty lol. I will leave them for a week and by then Il have room in the freezer.

If you can get a hold of the meat close to slaughter, and it was cryo'd between that time and you, you can limit the exposure to O2 by re-vac'ing and it'll last for a long time if kept really cold ...

Especially if you have a dedicated cold storage where the temp is swinging wildly throughout the day from the door being opened and closed repeatedly etc ...

grantmichaels said:
If you can get a hold of the meat close to slaughter, and it was cryo'd between that time and you, you can limit the exposure to O2 by re-vac'ing and it'll last for a long time if kept really cold ...

Especially if you have a dedicated cold storage where the temp is swinging wildly throughout the day from the door being opened and closed repeatedly etc ...
Yes i agree, I get my brisket that way but taking it out, breaking it down then sealing has my concern :) Perhaps I am over thinking it but poultry scares the ish out of me. 

Regards,

ISH

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yes i agree, I get my brisket that way but taking it out, breaking it down then sealing has my concern :) Perhaps I am over thinking it but poultry scares the ish out of me. 

Regards,

ISH

I like to mist a little diluted bleach into the air and let it kill/settle on my space and then do it ...

Not too worrisome if the workspace is clean and the meat remains cold ...

Nothing reproduces quickly while it's cold ...

grantmichaels said:

I like to mist a little diluted bleach into the air and let it kill/settle on my space and then do it ...

Not too worrisome if the workspace is clean and the meat remains cold ...

Nothing reproduces quickly while it's cold ...
Yes but to me cold is working in the walk-in cooler hahahah - too many years in the food biz I guess.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yes but to me cold is working in the walk-in cooler hahahah - too many years in the food biz I guess.

When I wanted to eat better and had less resources available, I used to break down roasts into steaks etc on a 1/2 sheet pan over pyrex bakeware w/ ice slush in it and food saver that ish ...

I rely on the salt and sugar primarily to preserve, normally I don't use sugar but this time I thought to try it. I was going to use kefir as well since it would preserve but didnt feel like working with a messy mix this time.

Back