• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Two plants in one DWC net pot?

This is my first post here, but long time lurker here.

As shown in the picture below, I have two cayenne peppers growing in one net pot.  Should I trim the small of the two or let them go?

j0a8lj.jpg

not sure what to give for advice, but I can say to be careful of a few things...

If you, lets say, kill off one of the plants, or if you try to separate them, it is likely that you will have roots break off or get left behind.  A lot of the roots at this point will be tangled together.

The problem with that is the left over roots will decay. And when they decay, you will have a chemical reaction that can cause the ph to spike after a week or so. I have had similar situations with decaying roots due to one thing or another in past experiences. And the ph spike was enough that it upset the plants.

If I had to give a suggestion, I would say to leave both plants and strategically prune the plants so branches do not cross, think of each plant as being one half of the whole (side by side, yin and yang if you will).

Also, if you do cut one down, just be sure to do water changes for a few weeks and monitor the ph and im sure youll be fine.

OK thank you.  I had heard that the decaying roots may cause issues.

My thinking is... if each plant produces 60% of what it would have should it have been alone, then I am good to go.  My fear is that each might only produce 30% or so of what it might have.

I know if this was dirt I would definitely want to cut one out as they would be fighting for space and nutrients. With this being hydro with nutrients freely flowing and readily available, and plenty of room for roots, I am hoping I will be alright.

My main concern here is yield.

EDITED: for clarity

sounds good, sir.

I think it will be fine in both cases. The DWC is going to produce one way or another. And the plant will grow pretty much as usual, the only thing is when you prune you set back the time table by a week or two. Other than that, the plant will revive back to its potential limited only by its environment.

Your reservoir seems plenty big enough, so dispersion of nutes wont be a problem.

Also, when you prune you upset the equilibrium, making the roots the stronger factor in the system. This will mean that once the plant rebounds, you should see really good vegetative growth to compensate for the difference.

Though I do see you used the word cut, so if you killed one off completely, then it will be fine too, just monitor the ph.

Your plants do look good, enjoy the grow!

Back