Tyler's season

Ok, its a little late but whether im ready or not its started. I bought a jalapeño plant from lowes last year and got some great peppers, and ive killed a cactus once...thats the sum total of my gardening experience. This forum has a massive amount of information in it and ive learned so much; but still have a ways to go.
I planted a bunch of seeds 7 days ago in jiffy greenhouses and today ive got Tabasco, scarlet lantern, and yellow habanero already growing to the roof of the greenhouse. Ive got miracle grow seed starter and solo cups ready to germinate more seeds (after reading jiffy pots might not be so great), my question is should i transplant the plants that are already sprouting into this setup? or just leave them in the jiffy for now?
heres whats out of the jiffy greenhouses right now, scarlet lantern and tabasco (peppermania)
imag0107v.jpg
imag0106k.jpg

Thanks for all the great info on this board!

I use jiffy and have for a while. When you do transplant (Use garden soil with alittle perlite or potting soil) cut the outside membrane (netting) away from the seedling and plant up to the first set of leaves. Give it a little water afterwards and your there. I use the Farmer's Almanac (Internet) for when to plant or transplant (don't know if helps but it damn sure doesn't hurt). If you don't see roots comming out of the jiffy pod your still OK and can wait. Once you start seeing roots your probally overdue to transplant or at least some kind of fert is needed cause theres not a hell of alot in those pods for a seedling to live off of.

March 2011
15th-19th A Most Barren Period, Best For Killing Plant Pests Or Doing Chores Around The Farm.
20th-21st Favorable Days For Planting Root, Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.
22nd-23rd Excellent Time For Planting Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now, And For Starting Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.
24th-26th Poor Planting Days.
27th-28th Any Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Do Well.
29th-31st A Barren Period, Best Suited For Killing Pests. Do Plowing And Cultivating.

Figured I'd save you alittle time and just give you the Farmers Almanac gardening for the month. It's free on the Internet.

To late for my reply now but I was gonna say I usually wait until I have true leaves before I transplant. And I agree with pepperlover, those look quite wet. maybe its just the color of the soil but from the picture those look extremely wet.

I had just put water on them. The jiffys seem to dry out quickly once out of the greenhouse, and since it was 80 outside I figured leaving them out for a while would be good. I just didnt want them to dry up outside. Ive got a lot more coming so ill try a few different ways to experiment. I leave some in the jiffys until they have true leaves like you suggested, thanks mmcdermott.

Quick update:
They seem to be doing ok in the solos and miracle grow soil for now. My second batch have germinated and ive been having real trouble with the jiffys and keeping them moist. I have to water them several times a day just to keep from crumbling. Cant knock them to hard because I had about 90% germinate in the jiffys; but i might try germinating in soil next season. Here are some ive transplanted; much easier to control the moisture.
imag0112wf.jpg

Thanks again for the advice, learning a lot this season.

Back