• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Type of soil

Last year I had around 40 plants and did really good with germination but not that good with producing high numbers of pods. I used regular old miracle grow soil and for the germination I used jiffy pots. What is a good inexpensive soil mixture I can use here in the Inland Northwest? I will start germinating the end of January. I did have a lot of flower drop but it might have been PH levels I tested and they usually were ok numbers. I grow all of mine in pots.
Thanks for your help.

Last year I had around 40 plants and did really good with germination but not that good with producing high numbers of pods. I used regular old miracle grow soil and for the germination I used jiffy pots. What is a good inexpensive soil mixture I can use here in the Inland Northwest? I will start germinating the end of January. I did have a lot of flower drop but it might have been PH levels I tested and they usually were ok numbers. I grow all of mine in pots.
Thanks for your help.

I'm using Growers Professional Media. The Co. is based out of Covington WA. It has excellent drainage, natural soil insect control, pH buffered and balanced, and starter nutrients added. I'm going to mix in a bit of vermiculite and pine bark as well

I make my own.
3-5 parts fine bark,1-2 parts perlite(or 1 part perlite 1 part pomice) and 1-2 parts peat.

A very FAST soil mix that needs lots of nitrogen because the bark sucks up nitrogen and then after it gets it's fill ,bark turns into time release fert. as it breaks down.
Good for an easy 5 yrs.
It needs/ has to have daily waterings with a light 1/10th dose of ferts.
I add a pinch of dolomite lime and bonemeal when I mix it up.

Manzanos especially love it and Chinense too.

Lots of root space and it doesn't allow wet feet for my plants.
For Annuums I add a little more peat since they seem to like it less dry.

If I have the $ I add osmacote to the mix.

I make my own. 3-5 parts fine bark,1-2 parts perlite(or 1 part perlite 1 part pomice) and 1-2 parts peat. A very FAST soil mix that needs lots of nitrogen because the bark sucks up nitrogen and then after it gets it's fill ,bark turns into time release fert. as it breaks down. Good for an easy 5 yrs. It needs/ has to have daily waterings with a light 1/10th dose of ferts. I add a pinch of dolomite lime and bonemeal when I mix it up. Manzanos especially love it and Chinense too. Lots of root space and it doesn't allow wet feet for my plants. For Annuums I add a little more peat since they seem to like it less dry. If I have the $ I add osmacote to the mix.

That sounds like a good mix, on the acidic side. I too use Osmocote "Loews" always has sales on garden nutes. Sometimes outrageous prices. Last week I was browsing thru and noticed 10 lb bags of indoor/outdoor Osmocote marked down from $27 to $6.97....I bought all 4 bags.....I would have bought more if they had it. The stuff works well , in my opinion. It doesn't burn the roots. I added it to my overwintered plants and they starting to fly with growth...

Good luck with your Manzanos. I grow a "Yellow Perrins"...its very apple like in shape and flavor.

Greg

Osmacote works good because it seems to last only a few months.
By the time it is used up it's time for less nitrogen for bud set.
The extra Dolomite lime and bonemeal adds extra Calcium and Magnesium for bud set and pods I think.
Helps control PH too.

I use the 14-14-14 stuff in time release.
Works pretty good to get plants a healthy start.

I like mild doses of Fish and seaweed every watering.

Back