• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Types of undomesticated peppers

I may be getting the numbers wrong as I can't find the exact reference:

I read Chasing Chiles Hot Spots Along the Pepper Trail, and the authors state something like, humans domesticated 5 out of 22 species of peppers. What are the other types?

Are you referring to wild Capsicum species? There are quite a few of them that have not been domesticated. For example:
C. buforum
C. hookerianum
C. campylopodium
C. lanceolatum
C. cardenasii
C. leptopodium
C. chacoense
C. minutiflorum
C. ciliatum
C. mirabile
C. coccineum
C. praetermissum
C. cornutum
C. parvifolium
C. dimorphum
C. schottianum
C. dusenii
C. scolnikianum
C. eximium
C. tovarii
C. galapagoense
C. villosum
C. geminifolium

So many species...so little time.

Are all of these edible?

Can I correctly assume that people tried to domesticate them, but failed, as it is difficult to recreate the natural habitats.

Are you referring to wild Capsicum species? There are quite a few of them that have not been domesticated. For example:
C. buforum
C. hookerianum
C. campylopodium
C. lanceolatum
C. cardenasii
C. leptopodium
C. chacoense
C. minutiflorum
C. ciliatum
C. mirabile
C. coccineum
C. praetermissum
C. cornutum
C. parvifolium
C. dimorphum
C. schottianum
C. dusenii
C. scolnikianum
C. eximium
C. tovarii
C. galapagoense
C. villosum
C. geminifolium

So many species...so little time.
Wow so many species! so little time!! i am with you on this one!. how many of these type are in your possession ? hehe :)

To my knowledge, all Capsicum species are edible (palatable may be a different story). I'm trying several wild species this year and really that is where my passion lies. I've got a bunch more on my list but am still doing my damnedest to germinate some. I think I get more excited seeing a wild variety grow than any other.

I fully admit to being a pepper geek...

Some of the wild ones will cross at the drop of a flower, lol I have grown 6 thats on the list and had some unusual F1 volunteers sprout
up in my deck garden, which due to circumstances beyond my control, I am no longer able to maintain. At least I have a Acre or so under
automated control, but you really need to watch the wild ones & be able to move them around to get more sun, less sun, warmer, cooler, well you get the idea.

To my knowledge, all Capsicum species are edible (palatable may be a different story). I'm trying several wild species this year and really that is where my passion lies. I've got a bunch more on my list but am still doing my damnedest to germinate some. I think I get more excited seeing a wild variety grow than any other.

I fully admit to being a pepper geek...

I was going to get some C. Lanceolatum but the only place I found them stated that they weren't actually hot. I decided against it as the heat is most of the fun! Keep us posted on what your seeds do. Thanks

These are the wild that I've tasted

C. var glabriusculum annum ... very hot
C. galapagoense ... very hot
C. chacoense ... hot/very hot
C. baccatum var baccatum ... hot
C. praetermissum .... hot
C. Eximium .... hot
C. cardenasii ... hot
C. Tovarii ... hot
C. flexuosum .... mild (unripe)
C. schottianum ... mild (unripe) ... sweet (ripe)
C. villosum ... mild (unripe) ... sweet (ripe)
C. pereirae ... mild (unripe) ... sweet (ripe)
C. cornutum ... mild (unripe) ... sweet (ripe)
C. lanceolatum ... sweet
C. rhomboideum ... sweet

Chili peppers are all edible

Back