• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

typical weather year round in SOUTH CAROLINA

I know this I reaching a whole lot right now but my wife and I have been planning to someday move to S.CAROLINA we love that state the people are so hospitable there

my question is related to this

CAN PEPPER PLANT SUCH AS BACCATUMS AND PUBESCENS LIVE INDEFINATLY IN THE GROUND THERE WITHOUT DYING FROM THE COLD??

I know these species are very cold tolerant is it doable??
I ask because it would be really cool to have some that could produce in season and be an ornamental plant all year round as well
please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

i would bet you still would have to do some work to create a perfect environment.

example: look for a home with a yard that has a south exposure. then make sure structures are in place to help shelter plants from exposure. perhaps something where to can install clear plastic frames in the winter and remove them in spring.

looking at their current low temps, it seems there are brief drops blow 32F and i would guess those are just night time lows that bottom out around 4am then start to climb as the sun rises. i was able to keep some annuums alive in similar tempuratures. i had to cover them nightly with blankets, that is until my day time highs could no longer reach reasonable temperatures.

so in this pic, you will see my tomato raised garden, it is part of my garage with a full south exposure and the overhang from the garage provides wind and rain protection. ignore the snow. this is where i planted my annuums. the raised beds are made from 2X10's similar to the box to the right of the garage door(you would see them if it wasn't filled with snow). in the spring, i literally wrap the area with cheap painter plastic after putting my tomatoes in the ground. once wrapped with plastic, this make shift greenhouse raises daytime temps by 10 degrees and retains most of the heat in the soil at night. i use strapping to secure the plastic wrap to the vertical 1X3's. this keeps high winds from tearing the plastic. of course my set up is only temporary because my winters can not be compared to SC. but if i did live there, i would make portable, installable frames that could be bolted up in the winter and removed in early spring, kind of like a sunroom of sorts. all you really need to do is protect the plant's root zone from night time killer cold.

hope this helps with some creative thinking and all the products were purchased at Homedepot.

thanks there my friend!!

the white stuff in you pic is the big motivation for the move some day i hate winter

i figure they would still need a helping hand

im still looking for someone down that way with hands on experience to chime in
Canada is not quite south enough for me LOL ;)

thanks your friend Joe

I spent 4 years in north carolina and grew up in virginia.... still not south Carolina, but there shiuldnt be much of a difference in temps.... both places I was on the coast so snow wasn't much of an issue.... but it does get below 32 quite often.... I would imagine its slightly warmer in south carolina but still within the general area to have to worry about freezes....
I had no interest in gardening while I was on the east coast so I didn't pay much attention to temps, just whether it felt like it was cold or not....

rhm3769 said:
I spent 4 years in north carolina and grew up in virginia.... still not south Carolina, but there shiuldnt be much of a difference in temps.... both places I was on the coast so snow wasn't much of an issue.... but it does get below 32 quite often.... I would imagine its slightly warmer in south carolina but still within the general area to have to worry about freezes....
I had no interest in gardening while I was on the east coast so I didn't pay much attention to temps, just whether it felt like it was cold or not....
thanks i thought as much

i would like to keep this going a little while longer and would love to here from someone from there as well

thanks your friend Joe

My home is Charleston. My mom still has ornamentals that are alive and unaffected. She has lots of live oaks to keep some heat in and to block wind.

My property is wide open and lost any plants in the ground about 6 weeks ago.

The ones I do have left are doing the garage shuffle.

BurningColon is righy about the temps. A greenhouse would help with that. And on most nights, wouldn't even need extra heat.

You'd want to be on the coast from Charleston on down the coast. We do get plenty of short burst of mid 20's temps on the coast but then you get today when it's 80°.

Keep an eye on the weather for 29403 to give you an idea of what we get.

First frost is around November for this area, last one comes around April 1. This year winter vame early and the last frost came late for me. I'm only 50 miles inland.

Property can be expensive for the Lowcountry area (Berkeley, Dorchester and Charleston Counties) but...if you look closely and have a good agent, deals can be found. I bought my newish house and 6 acres for 120k. The same type property and house in the charleston area was 300-400k.

As for other areas, I can't speak of. Charleston and Greenville are the nicest areas, I think. Big, yet quaint, with lits to do, laid back, etc.

Message me if you'd like and I'll try to answer anything I can.
one other thing, be prepared for lots of heat and humidity.

mikeinsc said:
My home is Charleston. My mom still has ornamentals that are alive and unaffected. She has lots of live oaks to keep some heat in and to block wind.

My property is wide open and lost any plants in the ground about 6 weeks ago.

The ones I do have left are doing the garage shuffle.

BurningColon is righy about the temps. A greenhouse would help with that. And on most nights, wouldn't even need extra heat.

You'd want to be on the coast from Charleston on down the coast. We do get plenty of short burst of mid 20's temps on the coast but then you get today when it's 80°.

Keep an eye on the weather for 29403 to give you an idea of what we get.

First frost is around November for this area, last one comes around April 1. This year winter vame early and the last frost came late for me. I'm only 50 miles inland.

Property can be expensive for the Lowcountry area (Berkeley, Dorchester and Charleston Counties) but...if you look closely and have a good agent, deals can be found. I bought my newish house and 6 acres for 120k. The same type property and house in the charleston area was 300-400k.

As for other areas, I can't speak of. Charleston and Greenville are the nicest areas, I think. Big, yet quaint, with lits to do, laid back, etc.

Message me if you'd like and I'll try to answer anything I can.
one other thing, be prepared for lots of heat and humidity.
ah yes an SC resident!!

i kinda thought BC was right anyway

how would i fair if i lived say about 80 miles inland in the FLORANCE/EFFINGHAM AND DARLINTON AREA??

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

Well, you'll get the NASCAR crowds for Darlington raceway, always a treat. Weather is slightly different but overall pretty close. Florence is right on the next climate zone, gets cooler sooner and it may be my imagination but it seems that its also on the line for weather fronts passing through more often. I doubt there is any truth, just the way it seems to me.

There is a lot of farm land and country area between Darlington, Effingham and Lake City. If you're looking for quiet, you'll find it there.

When you get to Marlboro county, Orangeburg or Columbia and westward, you'll run into more chances of snow. You might see a little bit of snow in the winter but nothing harsh at all.

mikeinsc said:
Well, you'll get the NASCAR crowds for Darlington raceway, always a treat. Weather is slightly different but overall pretty close. Florence is right on the next climate zone, gets cooler sooner and it may be my imagination but it seems that its also on the line for weather fronts passing through more often. I doubt there is any truth, just the way it seems to me.

There is a lot of farm land and country area between Darlington, Effingham and Lake City. If you're looking for quiet, you'll find it there.

When you get to Marlboro county, Orangeburg or Columbia and westward, you'll run into more chances of snow. You might see a little bit of snow in the winter but nothing harsh at all.
thank you so much i don't know if i will be moving down anytime soon but ya never know what tomorrow will bring right??
all i needed to know beautiful state you live in there ;)
thanks your friend Joe

very busy!    dont have too much time here. ima bit more on Facebook tho

Happy Christmas and new year to you Ajijoe  and all other THP members !!

Hammerfall said:
very busy!    dont have too much time here. ima bit more on Facebook tho

Happy Christmas and new year to you Ajijoe  and all other THP members !merry

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS AND ALL ON  THP

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

I believe Ed Currie lives between Columbia and Rock Hill. If that's true, it gets a lot colder that far west in the state. Increased chance of snow and so forth.

mikeinsc said:
I believe Ed Currie lives between Columbia and Rock Hill. If that's true, it gets a lot colder that far west in the state. Increased chance of snow and so forth.
thanks again

Back