• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Uh Oh, LIttle White Bugs

Hey guys, you all helped me a lot a few weeks ago with what to do to prepare my plants to bring them in for the winter.

I stripped all of the old soil out, hosed the roots off really good, pruned ALL of the leaves off and then poured a whole dose of Neem oil over them.

Then I put them in some new organic soil I got from Lowes (one of only a couple options I had there).

Two weeks later and they are really taking off with tons of new leaves, but after I watered them today I saw a bunch of little tiny white bugs crawling around on top of the soil.

I'm guessing these are the aphids that I did all of that to prevent?  Could they have come in the soil?

Is there anything I can do to kill them organically, short of starting over with the whole new soil / repotting thing again?  Another watering with Neem Oil?

Probably not aphids if they're on the soil and not drinking the plant's sap. Most likely harmless soil bugs. Pictures?

Could be fly larva too, i have small fruit flys around my peppers. Theyre actually pretty great because they dont hurt my plants and have been pollinating my flowers.

They are literally too small to take a pic of with my camera (head of a pin sized), but I've been looking at pictures and think it might be springtails.  They look like they are only staying in the dirt and don't crawl around on the plant.

I am only seeing maybe 4 or 5 crawling around on the top of the soil at a time but really only see them when they move since they are so small.

They aren't something I should be terrified to have in my house right?  I'd like to get rid of them but are they OK to keep indoor while I do it?  Also will Neem Oil kill them or is there another organic method to keep them in check?

Do they jump around once you water the soil or disturb the top soil?
To control them avoid overwatering plants do not like it, but springtails favor it.
Only water once your soil is dry or right before plants wilt.

Yep, they jump when you poke at them. 

Are these things OK to have in your house?

My kids play in that room and we don't need any kid infestations or anything.

From what I have learned was there harmless to humans. I had them many years ago in my pots in my closet. I would water the plants (overwatering) and hundreds would jump. It looked as of someone sprayed water from a spraybottle.
Once I figured out I was using too much water too often, they completely dissappeared.
There's billions of them everywhere looking for that favorable living area.

Sounds like springtails, they are harmless and are a sign of good soil. They break down soil material/nutrients which aid in plant uptake. They are most often found in very wet soil, and after heavy rain.

I had them in my garden after prolonged rain last year, there were literally thousands of them, once the soil dried out, they disappeared. 
20150115_192442-1.jpg

SR.

Back