UK Hot Sauce Co Conspirators

Hello!

I do not post a lot but I absolutely love this forum and regularly search through the site for the endless great advice!

I was wondering if there were any other active UK hot sauce makers attempting to bottle and sell their stuff?

Would be great to hunt down other hot sauce makers in the British Isles to chat, scheme and sample each others recipes!

*If you stumble across this post in a months time feel free to send me a direct message. I'll still be here making hot sauce :)

Best,

John

Hello there the both of you!  I'm making steps towards small scale production.  Good to see some other UK folks on here, might have some questions for you...  I'm currently looking into my production premises.  I'm working on a purpose built kitchen in an outbuilding at home, but am considering getting started in my home kitchen in the meantime.  Where are you guys making your stuff, and was it much hassle to get the ball rolling?

Howdy Aaron,

Hope the building work is going well! I'm making sauces in my home kitchen at the moment and can usually get a few hundred made in a day if I've got off my arse and prepped beforehand.
The biggest thing I found was getting the HACCP plan up to scratch for my local council health inspectors to approve me for home production. Other than that, it's the usual trial and error getting everything going (and avoiding companies that are happy to rip-off new sauce makers!).

Hey Guys!

Nice to meet a few fellow UK hot sauce makers!

CuriousTom 
What sauce do you make and where do you sell? Love to buy a bottle off you. 

Aaron
I am still trying to nail down my recipes and getting my kitchen approved by my local council. How far are you along? Sounds like your going pretty deep with the purpose built kitchen!

Tom, first of all, having had a look at your website, I really like the look of your stuff and it sounds great as well!  Good price point as well, that's the sort of thing I want to be aiming for as some people charge what is, in my opinion, too much - like £6 a bottle, or £4, but for what I would consider to be a very small amount.  Very interesting to see that you're doing it in your home kitchen but on a scale large enough to get it out there in markets and stuff.  At this point I don't even know what an HACCP plan is, but I'm intending to learn up on all that sort of thing over the next few weeks.  Have the legalities involved in production had a big impact on daily life in your kitchen?  Also, just wondering where you get your bottles?

John, I made the decision to concentrate on recipes and not stress too much about the rest until I had something I was confident in, but I'm there now and pretty excited about it, so just starting along the legal route with the council.  I suppose I am going in pretty deep with the custom built kitchen, but to be honest I've lucked out in that I've ended up with a very well built and large shed that has power and water, is insulated, etc, you could live it in really.  And I've managed to beg and borrow a fair bit of equipment and stuff like worktop, so it's actually taken very little investment thus far.  It's come to a point though where I think it's going to take a fair few months yet to complete it, but I'd really like to test the waters and have a few local sellers lined up so am thinking I might get the ball rolling in my home kitchen first.  Only just looking into what will be required though.

I am interested in being where you're at, Tom, but, as of yet, I have neither the premises nor the understanding of regulations to make it work and I'm a fair ways off having the range of sauces that I'd like.

Of the two ideas that I'm happy with, one requires that I start smoking my own chillies and the other needs a vinegar that I can't get in bulk. I've got a few others in the works but everything takes a little longer than it should because my brand requires that I be as out there as possible. Half my ideas require a full grow season before I can even start testing them.

Oh and why is your Scorpion sauce half the price of everything else?

Back