labels UK Labelling law - best before dates

Hey guys - what do you all do regarding best before dates on your labels? I've been reading the official guidance on the government an trading standards websites, and talking to a few people but finding it hard to find a definitive answer on current law. I'm planning on doing limited edition sauces, short runs, different recipies, so its uneconomical to send samples off to get tested for shelf life stuff every time- but I'm hearing that you have to get that done every time now? General though seems to be that hot sauces can keep unopened for up to 3 years - so, putting say 'best before 6 months' sounds sensible enough to me... ?

From bottles I have it seems like best practice is to have a batch number and best before date. How long is a sensible best before date (assuming you have bottled correctly with proper sterilisation, hot bottling & pH of 4 etc)?

Any advice much appreciated thanks!

JB

Hi JB~
Welcome to the Forum! 

For BestBy dates, that's usually up to whoever does your testing and authorizing.  I don't know how it all works in the UK and who your health authority is, but it is up to them to set it all out. 

Here in the US, we send a recipe & sample to the lab, they review everything, do pH testing, whatever is required, and then will issue a Process Authority letter which says how the sauce can be made and packaged based on the ingredients.  I have a fresh refrigerated salsa that has a pull date of 30 days from when it was made.  The bottled hot sauces don't have a pull date.  They pretty much won't go bad.  BUT!!! I have had bottles of sauce from other companies in the fridge for (3?...4?...5???) years and they have DEFINITLY gone bad.  They were 3 years out of the BestBy date, so there you go~ 

If you are looking at doing a lot of small run batches, you will likely have to send each one out for testing and approval since each recipe is different. 

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
salsalady
Again, I'm not familiar with protocol in UK.  Your first step should be contacting your local health authority and find out what they want.  Here in the US, regulations can vary drastically from state to state, and depending on where the processor is selling. 

Thanks Salsalady
I've been looking at all the official laws and guidelines I can find and there's nothing saying testing needs to be done - bizzare!
Chilli hot sauces would definitely fall under 'best before', rather than 'use by' from everything I've read - so its looking to me like a best before end - 6 months is probably the sensible thing to do - but ppl I've spoken to that do this seem to think you have to get it sent off and tested - I just can't find anything official saying this! Hmmmmm
https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/food-and-drink/date-and-lot-marking-of-prepacked-food#Minimumdurabilitydatebestbeforebestbeforeend

PS- I may not have explained things as best I could....this may help-

If you plan on doing short runs with nice and low pH levels, you should be able to get by with a review of your recipe and process and a pH test by a lab or food authority.  I don't know who does those tests in the UK.  The lab I use here in the US charges about $100 for a review and pH test. 

For all the sauces I've done, if they don't have any Critical Items (dairy, meat), if they are your usual blend of peppers, spices, vegetables, fruits, vinegar/citrus juice for acidity, and if they are below 4.0 pH, I've not had to worry about expiry dates.  Processing is the standard Hot Fill/Hold. 

If you have a recipe with a pH higher than 4.0 or contains dairy or meat, the regs are MUCH more stringent.

hope this helps~
SL

talk to whoever does food processor licensing.  You may need to ask someone local who is selling a handmade product who does their inspections, etc.  good luck~

Thanks SalsaLady! I've actually asked someone local who also makes and sells sauces, but they claim they don't get theirs tested, which I guess is pretty irresponsible.

Sidewinder, I don't know where you are in the UK but Edinburgh Council offers testing:
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/scientificservices

The last I checked about 4 years ago, it was £425 plus VAT to test if food had a 30 day shelf life.

I hope this helps. I'm also getting back into sauce making, but with these prices it's looking quite prohibitive.

Back