food Ultimate Black Pepper Chicken

Ultimate Black Pepper Chicken

This is one of my favorite dishes. It's got a really nice blend of spices that tend to roll around your tongue from one into the other. It does take a bit of time to make, but is well worth it. Sorry I don't have any pics. Although it's probably not hot for most of the chili freaks here, you could add some hot sauce or even dice up a pepper or two to increase the intensity.

------------

12 - Skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (I prefer boneless - no mess, just cut it up and eat!)

1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt

1/2 tsp cornstarch

2 TBSP black peppercorns, coarsely ground

3 TBSP minced peeled ginger-root, divided

2 TBSP minced garlic, divided

2 TBSP freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice (I use lime)

3 1/2 tsp salt or to taste, divided (I don't use the salt because of high blood pressure)

2 TBSP oil (olive oil, or your choice)

2 Cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped tomatoes

1 tsp. garam masala**

------------

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry

2. In a large non-reactive bowl, stir together yogurt, cornstarch, peppercorns, 1 1/2 TBSP of the ginger, 1 1/2 TBSP of the garlic, lime juice and 1 1/2 tsp of the salt. Add chicken and coat all the pieces well. Cover and marinate for 30 min. at room temperature.

3. In a saucepan (a heavy Wok is fantastic because it keeps the chicken steeped in masala), heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute' until golden, 8-10 minutes. Add remaining ginger and garlic and saute' until onions are brown, 8-10 minutes.

4. Add tomatoes, 2 tsp of salt, and chicken with marinade. Saute' until masala (the spicy liquid created from cooking, including the marinade) turns darker, 6-8 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil (I found that adding any amount of water makes the dish too runny so I leave this out).

5. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer (I only cover for about 10-15 minutes, but it depends on how thick you want the masala), stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink inside, 35-40 minutes. Stir in garam masala**. There should be a thick gravy when chicken is ready. If too dry, add 1/2 cup of hot water to return to a coating consistency. Serve with rice or Naan bread. I usually do both because I love the taste of Tandori Naan.

-----

** Garam Masala (translates to 'warm mixture') is a blend of aromatic spices and is a North Indian mixture. If you can't find packaged garam masala in the store, let me know and I can post the recipe.

Great recipe thanks for posting. I love Indian food and especially things I can put on Naan. I'll be trying this soon.

Blister said:
-----

** Garam Masala (translates to 'warm mixture') is a blend of aromatic spices and is a North Indian mixture. If you can't find packaged garam masala in the store, let me know and I can post the recipe.

Yes,great recipe,love to try it but please post your garum masala

scoville said:
Yes,great recipe,love to try it but please post your garum masala

Ok can do! This makes about a 1/4 cup garam masala.

2 TBSP coriander seeds, toasted in a dry skillet

1 TBSP cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet

1 tsp peppercorns

3 sticks cinnamon (each 3" long)

35 green cardamom pods

35 cloves

----------

Careful when you toast the spices as you don't want to over do it.

Toasting the seeds:

Heat a dry skillet to medium high. Put the seeds in and stir gently. I usually just shake the pan like the old Jiffy Pop popcorn deals. Cook until fragrant and a shade darker approx. 3-4 minutes. Immediately transfer to a bowl and let cool.

Once the toasted seeds have cooled combine coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and grind in a coffee bean blade grinder. You could also pound them in a pestal, but the bean grinder does a fantastic job and is WAY quicker. Just be sure to clean it out before you grind and brew your next cup o' joe.

Neil

Back