• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ultraponic System (DIY) questions

Hi all,

For my next growing season, I would like to experience Ultraponic growing (I don't know the word in English, in French it's "Ultraponie") and make a comparison with soil growing using wild peppers.

What I want to do is a SUAO ("Système d'Ultraponie Assisté par Ordinateur" in French, approximative translation : "Ultraponic System Controlled by Computer"). Author of the system http://suao.wyrd.fr/ in French sorry (best project ever seen so far).

I don't publish this thread for the computer part, but for the mist maker part of the project. Has anyone ever tried mist maker with peppers ?

By mist maker, I'm referring to this :
photomodif.jpg

It's basically the same idea as hydroponic but with 5μm droplet.

fogponics is the poor man's term for ultraponics and you can find a number of youtube videos on the subject.

when i investigated the various hydro technologies, i ended up choosing dwc (deep water culture). i had all the necessary parts to make one... now i have 5 systems.

good luck with your experimenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjWLyA-w4Bo

Reactions: PHB
you might want to look into HP aeroponics or air atomized aeroponics. i think you will find its results are far superior, and in general more suitable for a long term growing system.

all the fogponics systems ive seen are disapointing, and the transducers need very frequent maintenance. they are also terribly inefficient, you fill find they dump tremendous amounts of heat into the water.
moreover they do not deliver enough nutrient solution to the roots of a big ass plant.

they do seem to be very good at rooting cuttings however, as they can maintain 100% humidity very well.

AA or HP aero can be tuned to deliver droplets at around 50 microns which is said to be the most optimum for roots. i cant remember exactly, but i think the fog is around 1 micron or 5 microns. it is however fairly expensive, AA more so.

i stopped pursuing HP aero a few years back in order to focus on my outdoor fertigation system. i can however help you out with the system design if you want to go that direction. i have a thread up here, if you google "my HP aero" you should find it.

Thank you both of you :)

By "HP areo" you mean "High Pressure Aeroponic" ? Because I already stopped by an article (french sorry) about it and it sounds very interresting. The fact that Ultraponic makes 5μm droplets whereas HP Areo makes 50μm droplets was one of my concern. I don't know if the nutrients are able to reach the roots at 5μm. But HP seems more difficult, and you need more materials (HP pump & fogger) wich takes some space (and I don't have some).

I found your thread, and your pepper looked awesome ! And when I say "awseome" I mean absolutely INCREDIBLE !! (did you top them to have that "Y" style ?). I will definitely look more into HP aero :)

Thank you both of you :)

By "HP areo" you mean "High Pressure Aeroponic" ? Because I already stopped by an article (french sorry) about it and it sounds very interresting. The fact that Ultraponic makes 5μm droplets whereas HP Areo makes 50μm droplets was one of my concern. I don't know if the nutrients are able to reach the roots at 5μm. But HP seems more difficult, and you need more materials (HP pump & fogger) wich takes some space (and I don't have some).

I found your thread, and your pepper looked awesome ! And when I say "awseome" I mean absolutely INCREDIBLE !! (did you top them to have that "Y" style ?). I will definitely look more into HP aero :)

honestly thats just the way frutenses and bact's grow. they get real tall and leggy then split into 4's or 3's with lots of small uniform leaves.
chininses split way way lower down, and get the real big wide leaves.
all i did to that plant was remove the lower foliage.

yea the biggest drawback is the initial cost.
however i must disagree with you space concerns. my system was spread out onto a sheet of MDF because i wanted to be able to easily service it. however if you wanted... you could easily fit the entire system into a much much smaller footprint. you could even get a much smaller accumulator... less than a gallon if necessary. i suspect you could fit the system inside a 5 gallon bucket if you really tried hard. the distribution end of the system is just a system of tubing similar to regular drip irrigation tubing.

i also have to disagree with your assessment of my plants health lol.
IMO, those plants were miserable, the roots ran out of space very quickly, and the center rootmass died. It took me a very long time to come to terms with the fact that frutenses just cant take intense HPS lighting. the leaves were rolled and damaged when the light was any closer than 18" off of the canopy. DESPITE any amount of direct airflow over the plant canopy. if i did it again i would either not even bother growing large rooted, longer term plants, or if i did i would get much much larger containers. probably atleast 20 gallons PER PLANT... for a full blast 120 day+ grow.

IMO HP or AA aero is super well suited for small plants like leafy greens. not so much for big rooted plants like toms or peppers. the roots just spread out way to much, and you need alot bigger containers.

edit:
with respect to the 5micron vs 50 micron, i dont remember exactly, but i remember there being a number of studies that used 50 micron aerosols to achieve really impressive rates of growth. it seems like the studies were aimed at growing stuff for space flight or w/e, so its possible the original studies never even encompassed large vegetable plants at all. if you do ever get a chance to dig those studies up, id appreciate it if you could link them to me. :cool:
i remember reading cannabis grows using just fog transducers, and the plants were dwarfed severely, it seems like the tiny droplets simply do not have the ability to get the plant enough water.
the roots were insanely fuzzy, but very small and not growing outwardly. in HP aero you will see that the roots continue to grow the fish boney roots and spaghetti long roots, its just that they are all covered in fine white hairs. the droplets you will see, come to rest on these hairs kinda like dew on a spider web.

if you think about it. volume increases by the cube of the radius. so a drop that is 10x larger radius is going to be like ~ 1000x times the volume of the 1x droplet.

i think it will be worth your time to look into HP or AA before making the jump. its really not that complicated, it is just expensive.

honestly thats just the way frutenses and bact's grow. they get real tall and leggy then split into 4's or 3's with lots of small uniform leaves.
chininses split way way lower down, and get the real big wide leaves.
all i did to that plant was remove the lower foliage.

yea the biggest drawback is the initial cost.
however i must disagree with you space concerns. my system was spread out onto a sheet of MDF because i wanted to be able to easily service it. however if you wanted... you could easily fit the entire system into a much much smaller footprint. you could even get a much smaller accumulator... less than a gallon if necessary. i suspect you could fit the system inside a 5 gallon bucket if you really tried hard. the distribution end of the system is just a system of tubing similar to regular drip irrigation tubing.

i also have to disagree with your assessment of my plants health lol.
IMO, those plants were miserable, the roots ran out of space very quickly, and the center rootmass died. It took me a very long time to come to terms with the fact that frutenses just cant take intense HPS lighting. the leaves were rolled and damaged when the light was any closer than 18" off of the canopy. DESPITE any amount of direct airflow over the plant canopy. if i did it again i would either not even bother growing large rooted, longer term plants, or if i did i would get much much larger containers. probably atleast 20 gallons PER PLANT... for a full blast 120 day+ grow.

IMO HP or AA aero is super well suited for small plants like leafy greens. not so much for big rooted plants like toms or peppers. the roots just spread out way to much, and you need alot bigger containers.

Ha ok, never grew frutenses & bacctum. Only once chinense a long time ago.

When I say I don't have much space, I means that everything (plants, lamps, etc.) must fit in less than 5sq² and the pump look quite big.

Concerning your plants, I've seen the troubles you faced concerning the dead root mass. But I mean look at the size of your plants in 90 days ! Imagine how they could have look like if you had used better aero pots and bigger containers ! Or maybe it's normal, maybe the frutenses & bacctum are always that huge at D90 even in the soil, I don't know.

Concerning aeropots, IMO they're not made for Aeroponic. I mean they are just traditional pots with holes in it. Instead it would maybe be a better idea to set some kind of wire netting horizontaly this way the roots would be abble to use all the space of the container. Otherwise they just fall straight. But it's probably a stupid idea of someone who never made aeroponic ... :P

I've one question for you : can you replant the plant in the soil after ? Will it die ?

Ha ok, never grew frutenses & bacctum. Only once chinense a long time ago.

When I say I don't have much space, I means that everything (plants, lamps, etc.) must fit in less than 5sq² and the pump look quite big.

Concerning your plants, I've seen the troubles you faced concerning the dead root mass. But I mean look at the size of your plants in 90 days ! Imagine how they could have look like if you had used better aero pots and bigger containers ! Or maybe it's normal, maybe the frutenses & bacctum are always that huge at D90 even in the soil, I don't know.

Concerning aeropots, IMO they're not made for Aeroponic. I mean they are just traditional pots with holes in it. Instead it would maybe be a better idea to set some kind of wire netting horizontaly this way the roots would be abble to use all the space of the container. Otherwise they just fall straight. But it's probably a stupid idea of someone who never made aeroponic ... :P

I've one question for you : can you replant the plant in the soil after ? Will it die ?

i edited my post a bit since you quoted this. they are probably a little ahead of an outdoor soil less mix plant, however i dont think they were any thing to be bragging about by any means.

the pump is actually very very small. its about he size of a big can of beer.... about 2.5" in diameter and maby 8 inches long. they are generally used for under sink type RO systems. the tank IS big, however its big because its like 5 gallons, you can get these at 2 liters if you like, the pump will just cycle more. if you arrange the system such that components and plumbing folds over itself it can become quite a small assembly... but again its going to be a good chunk of work on your part to build. however i do think its a rewarding thing to pursue. HP aero is by far the most energy efficient AND water and nutrient solution efficient means of growing plants... EASILY.

AA is less energy efficient, however is it by far more flexible. i would say its superior to HP because the compressed air stream moves around the root container very energetically, meaning one atomizer can service far more plants and get far better coverage . think if AA aero as just like a car paint sprayer, a stream of air blasts into a stream of water and breaks it up into a very nice even mist.

these days you can buy very cheep rocking piston air compressors that are basically silent units. the atomizers however are a significant expense, some costing 200 a piece. its possible to adapt cheap oil furnace nozzles, but they too are a significant expense, and locating them and adapting them is difficult.
supplying the atomizers with water can be done by gravity, however best results demand a constant pressure, and flow rate. for this you would need some kind of low pressure diaphragm pump and regulator.
id like one day to try a small scale outdoor AA grow, just to see whats up, but i cant be brought to buy the nozzles. if some fall into my lap one day for a good price, ill give it a shot. i have a good pump from an oxygen concentrator that would fit the bill well.

you can replant it. i actually did this, the plant lost alot of its foliage, but it came back at some point. i dont remember the specifics tho. problem is i had to cut all the roots out to separate the netpot from the plants. if you just bury the net pot i bet you would get better results.

[...] i dont think they were any thing to be bragging about by any means.[...]

You can't maybe brag about it with hardcore peppers growers, but with a newbee like me you can :)

the pump is actually very very small. its about he size of a big can of beer....
Great ! Especially because you use a can of beer as a unit size. I'm always confused with USA/EU unit system, and beer speaks a lot to me. :P

I know nothing about AA. I just started reading a thread on rollitup.org. If you have good articles/HowTo about HP & AA they are more than welcome.

By atomizers you mean this http://sonozap.net/atomizer_nozzles.html ?

At the moment I don't fully understand the differences between HP & AA. I need to read much more about it, otherwise I'll bother you too much with my questions.

HP is just high pressure water spraying through a small orifice. like a regular spray bottle or garden hose with one of those misting nozzles.

AA uses lower pressure water simply to feed a nozzle that uses high pressure air to blast the water stream into fine mist. like a spray gun you paint a car with.

i cant think of any good resources to read tbh.

with respect to HP aero its stupid simple. if you can understand how a well works, you can understand HPA.

read the parts here about how the pumps and pressure switch work... you can ignore the info about well pumps, thats irrevelant to you as you would be using a high pressure diaphragm pump.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/electrical-plumbing/1275136

Hi all,

So I've read quite a bunch of posts about HPA & AAA since last time and especially threads on rollitup.org (these guys make some crazy DIY high tech stuff ... especially Aerojunkie with his famous HPAAHAAS & Trichy Bastard).

The problem with forum threads is that the information is too sporadic. I mean I read literraly several threads with 500 posts each time ... (and reading the content they link each time ...). Reading technical stuff in English for so long gives me headeaches and the information is not condensed. There also a lot of information about HPA but not so much about AAA.

So I think I'll keep gathering info about AAA and make a condensed doc. And then (and only then) I will maybe publish a roadmap for my next AAA season (if it worth it, because so far I didn't find any serious comparison between HPA & AAA. Some people, like PetFlora, even say that DWC almost produce the same results. And there quite a cost with AAA for just an experimental system).

petflora is a hack. idk why he/she posts so much information because nothing she has published is worth a damn. she refuses to use an accumulator and a real pump with a real interval timer, every root shot he she posts is just a miserable looking mess of NFT/dwc looking roots.

i wouldn't seriously consider AAA tbh, you will be spending alot more than you would be for HPA.
if cost isnt a concern, i suppose its the best place to start because i feel like it is truly the most versital way to achieve that true aeroponic mist, but id cut my teeth on something cheaper if it were me. then you can evaluate the results yourself, get a good feel for it, and make the jump if you like.

AAA is also going to require a somewhat bulky air compressor... idk if you want to mess with that as its going to take up a decent amount of space.

Thanks for the info queequeg152, you seems to know this forum and their members.

I'm seriously interested in AAA, but :
- at the moment I'm broke. So it will have to wait a few month. Probably no funds for this until September.
- I've no idea how much it could cost (I think it costed something like $650 to aerojunkie right ?)
- I don't exactly know how much noise it will make and how much space it will take. And that's the most important part by far, because I can't afford an inch or a dB (otherwise my GF will take my eyes out of my head and eat them).

im sure ive read the same threads you have. only reason i remember petflora is because how frustrating it was to keep seeing he/she post the same inane un helpfull crap over and over.

im not super familiar with AAA so i cant really say. espescially considering you live in paris IDK how much you will have to pay for things. but here in the states a quiet air compressor can be had for under 250. the nozzles will be anywhere from a paltry 20 bucks a pop( ebay used) to an astronomical 200 bucks a pop( new from mfg.)
things like solenoids tubing fittings... could be as high as 100 bucks if you are using john guest stuff. equipment for a low pressure water pressure loop probably as high as 200.

i would say anywhere from 400-700 for a smallish scale system.

for an aircompressor... here in the sates we have rolair compressors. i think its called the JP10... it uses a rocking piston pump. its only like 60 db.
in other words you could not hear from an adjacent room at all. actually if you put it inside a closet or something you couldn't hear it from the same room i suspect.

here
http://air-compressors.findthebest.com/l/455/Rolair-JC10

Back