• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking uncooked hot sauce and fermentation question

hi all, I had bookmarked a topic here on basic hot sauce making where you just puree up the peppers (do not cook) and add salt and some vinegar then let them sit on the counter.  Last year I made it but was scared to leave them out to ferment (not refrigerated) so did it in the fridge, and while they were good, I really want to see how they taste fermented. :) 

I can't find my bookmark but was wondering:

1) do you cover the jar?  if so, with cheesecloth, a loose lid or?
2) how long do you let it sit for (not refrigerated) ?

the topics I've looked at so far today (the pinned ones) have the fermentation either happening with a cooked sauce or with the peppers in salt brine but I am positive the recipe (or guide) I used had you just puree the peppers with vinegar and let sit on the counter.

any help?  Or the link to the post I am remembering?

thanks!

ps.  I am making 3 batches this year (all have some bell peppers in them to help with the overall heat) -- one with red hab's, red Scotch Bonnets, red Thai and red fatalli; one with orange hab's, yellow fatalli, orange Trinidad scorp's, and orange fresnos; the third has ghost, Jaloro and my incredibly super hot (hotter than any other year this year!) red Trinidad Scorpions.

Nevermind, I found the recipe I was thinking of.  It's actually from the July 2012 issue of Bon Appetit!  (go figure).  Here it is in case anyone was wondering :)

Master Hot Sauce
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 pound stemmed fresh chiles (such as jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, or habanero; use one variety or mix and match)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  1. Pulse chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar, loosely screw on lid, and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment slightly.
  2. Stir in vinegar and loosely screw on lid. Let chile mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 7 days. (Taste it daily; the longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.)
  3. Purée mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Place a fine-mesh sieve inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into a clean glass bottle. (Hot sauce will become thinner and may separate after you strain it; shake vigorously before each use.) DO AHEAD: Can be made up to 4 months ahead. Keep refrigerated.

My note: Needs some sugar and/or honey in there too, and use a pinch of baking soda if bitter!

That is not a good recipe if your goal is to try a fermented hot sauce. Adding vinegar slows or stops fermentation. 

I suggest making a mash. Pick your peppers and veggies like onion,  garlic, carrot etc. Figure out that weight of that and add a 3.5% salt (or something close to that %). 

so 100 g of veggie and 3.5% salt would be:

100 X 0.035 = 3.5 grams of salt. 

add salt and veggies to a blender. 

I add that mash to a glass jar and airlock it or use a canning lid and burp daily. Your goal is to keep oxygen out.  Let it ferment for two months. That will give you a properly fermented mash. You can then add (optional) fruit, honey, vinegar, spices. Cook and bottle. 

Back