• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Unknown chinense x Peach Bleeder F1

Flowers

Parents pods
Parents pods_1280.png

One pod have these weird reddish/brown dots that look a bit scary. Any guesses? I don't think it's the time yet for the ripening.
IMG_20220912_131121219~2.jpg

I kinda had those brown spots inside Unknown chinense x Peach Bleeder F0 after I opened it. Is it bacteria growth? It looks weird. Now I think one of the pods probably has this same symptom. I need to wait until that upper pod has fully ripen so I can open it and see does it look like this:
IMG_20220303_192706183_HDR.jpg

I've had Reapers and Dragons show spots like that in the earliest ripening stages. Seems a bit odd - some of them seem to turn more brown before ripening, instead of the more typical yellow/orange/red

I've had Reapers and Dragons show spots like that in the earliest ripening stages. Seems a bit odd - some of them seem to turn more brown before ripening, instead of the more typical yellow/orange/red
Did you save the seeds from those pods? I have now five more coming and this is the one that had those reddish spots. I will probably just watch how it turns out when I grow F2. If it starts to do that more, I'm not sure if I want it.

Did you save the seeds from those pods? I have now five more coming and this is the one that had those reddish spots. I will probably just watch how it turns out when I grow F2. If it starts to do that more, I'm not sure if I want it.
No, I don't save seeds. Too many plants, too many unpredictable crosses...

No, I don't save seeds. Too many plants, too many unpredictable crosses...
Yup. It's hard work to keep everything isolated and needs electricity at winter times. The Putin war is going on and Russia closed the gas pipe to the EU, electricity is going to be expensive. Not sure if I want to grow now the 2nd generation in winter because my pill is going to skyrocket. More than four times.

Maybe by the end of this month F1 pods are ripened. Because higher electricity will kick in next month. And reddish spots look even worse and now another pod got it.

Never seen before color mix like this. I tried to look for similar chilies on the web but I could not yet find anything like this. Color change is mostly in the middle and not the start or end. Also it has bleeding calyx. Color change is very subtle at the calyx but goes up to the base. This is the third day and the color has not changed. I think it is fully ripened.

First pod opened and tasted. Not much aroma. A bit of carambola, but the burn strikes very fast like a T-REX. Lots of oil inside. Not bad for a first try :)

Too many bad seeds :(

Last edited:
what causes bad seeds?
Got some in the cayenne peppers :(

Now I get it. The first was unripe and defective. This second pod has a bit of the same problem but the heat got even worse. Now this pod 90% is ripe and it hurts my lips so badly it feels like I have burned them with the fire. Now it started to taste like Peach Bleeder and this unknown pepper. I Have four more coming, fingers crossed. Ripe color should be fully red. Interesting is that it turned so nice red color 😎 Probably this may turn >1.5M SHU.

Last edited:
Any ideas for a name? I was going to call this Swamp Bleeder but bleeding is quite shy. Should I still call it that? Swamp Fire or even Fire Ghost? Because it's so red. Third pod is going to be fully ripe. Nice red color. I'll take a pic later.

I have a bit of flu. Can't really taste much but I think it has a nice clean fruity aroma. Smells like sweet melon. Heat is not that bad, I enjoyed it. Medium speed build up and quite peppery. I only tasted a small slice of it. Maybe it's my flu that makes the heat more tolerable. This pod did get fully ripe but had some bad seeds inside. Very clean after taste. Can't say for sure but I think it's a bit earthy or smoky. Maybe this pod is less than 1.5M SHU but the aroma was OK and the shape.

More pics in the link

Never seen before color mix like this. I tried to look for similar chilies on the web but I could not yet find anything like this. Color change is mostly in the middle and not the start or end. Also it has bleeding calyx. Color change is very subtle at the calyx but goes up to the base. This is the third day and the color has not changed. I think it is fully ripened.

I'm a bit late to the party here but I don't think this pod was fully ripe. In doubt, let it ripen to the point it gets very soft to the touch (almost feeling mushy). It's sometimes the only way to tell for sure that the fruits are ready and seeds fully mature (with most mustard for example). With darker BBG hybrids, sometimes you can have a look under the calyx's edges to see if the color is lighter (see pic below). Also, on most ripe pods the peduncle will become darker with a woody kinda look once they are ready.
1668104593376.png

Back