• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown Green/yellow pepper

I purchased these seeds off Pepper Joe last fall, they were purchased as red scotch bonnets. Well, I very well could be color blind, but as far as I can tell, these are not red, and they are definitely not scotch bonnets. I tried them, they got some punch to the heat (as green). I've had them as green and about this size for 3 weeks or so now and they don't seem to be changing color more or growing larger than what you see.  

Any help identifying would be helpful. Looks almost like a ghost/banana pepper cross.

Attachments

• 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 343.jpg
    343.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 344.jpg
    344.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 346.jpg
    346.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 122
Can you get us a clearer picture of the calyx.

I'm looking for a constricted calyx to indicate it's in the same species as the Scotch Bonnets.

I'm not seeing a constricted calyx in the pictures supplied, but I'd like to get a clearer view.

That looks more like an annuum.  Maybe when a few ripen up, it'll be easier to identify the variety. It's probably not going to taste anything like a Scotch Bonnet.

But, look at it on the bright side.  Scotch Bonnets usually take much longer to develop.  In CT, it would be difficult to coax this many peppers out of a Scotch Bonnet at this point in the year.

So you'll have a bigger early harvest.  Just it's the wrong pepper.  :)

Yeah it does, but trying to figure out what type. Good 'ol pepper joe sold me these as red scotch bonnet. Mistakes happen, my melrose turning out to be more shishitos also...from their seeds.

Would it frighten you to know I got full reaper plants, habaneros, jalapenos, shishitos, numex hab, red savina hab, thai, some ghosts unripened green almost full size on plant already here? I started growing inside way early, I potted up, but not wider, just deeper, and kept topping. So they developed massive root systems before I transferred outside. Final pot before going outside was 2x 5.5" deep on top of one another (flipped one over cut out bottom taped to other) so they had almost 11" deep root growth fully developed when I transplanted mid-May.

My main reaper plant has at least 25-30 reapers right now. I'm thinking w.e this pepper is, it keeps maintaining this color so I think this is what i'm getting out of it versus waiting for more color change, if at all. Whatever it is, it has some kick to it, definitely feel it.

I kid you not, I had several pepper batches, some started in late december, others up to late january. Was a bit too early, but boy those roots were amazing. Now that they're flowering, I'm starting to feed again, low in nitrogren higher in phosphorus/potassium right now. It's my own mix of jack's tomato feed, organic neptunes and a small amount of epson foliar fed and about a quart to base of each plant.

I have to sign up for extreme membership on pay day this week, used up my space.

I have more than a dozen reaper plants, but this 1 is popping out peppers like crazy.A 2nd and third plants are just starting to product little ones (they have a few).

DontPanic said:
Can you get us a clearer picture of the calyx.

I'm looking for a constricted calyx to indicate it's in the same species as the Scotch Bonnets.

I'm not seeing a constricted calyx in the pictures supplied, but I'd like to get a clearer view.

Along with constricted calyx fruit per node a trait.

TPbExnW.jpg

darkchile said:
Is this what you were looking for?

OP, does plant exhibit multiple fruit per node - circled - or constricted calyx - arrowed?

Back