• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Unknown leaf discoloration

I started some peppers from seed quite some time ago. They have been growing great in a south faced window their entire existence. The weather up here in Minnesota has been pretty decent the past few days so I figured I would do some hardening off. Here is how the hardening off process went:

Day 1 was 2 hours in the shade then back inside
Day 2 was 4 hours in the shade then back inside
Day 3 was 2 hours in the sun then back inside
Day 4 was 4 hours in the sun then back inside
Day 5 started the problems. It consisted of a full day in the sun.
Day 6 was also a full day in the sun

When I went to bring them back inside after day 5, I noticed multilple discolored leaves on my Jalapenos, Carribean reds, and Barrackpore 7 Pot. They were of a whitish-grey-tan type discoloration. It wasn't that bad at first so I decided to try another day of full sun on day 6. When I went to bring them in then, the leaves were even more discolored and 4 leaves from one of my carribean reds up and fell off on their own. The plants that were being hardened off were 3 Jalapenos, 2 Carribean reds, 1 Barrackpore 7 Pot, and 5 Blushing Beautys (the blushing beautys do not have the problem that the others have and all plants were lined up in a row right next to each other.) Pictures below.

This is the Barrackpore 7 Pot. The outer bigger leaves are the affected ones.
Barrackpore7Pot1.jpg

This is the same Barrackpore 7 Pot as above next to another seedling that was not hardened off. This Barrackpore 7 Pot was just as green as the seedling next to it prior to the hardening off process.
Barrakpore7Pot2.jpg

This is one of my Jalapeno plants. My hand is holding a normal leaf and right next to this one and directly below it as well are 2 examples on this plant that are affected.
Jalapeno.jpg

This is a zoomed out picture of one of my Carribean Reds with a big bare spot in the middle, the one that shed some leaves.
CarribeanRed1.jpg

This is a close up of some of the affected leaves on this Carribean Red.
CarribeanRed2.jpg

This is a picture of one of the leaves that spontaneously shed from the Carribean Red.
CarribeanRed3.jpg

The only variable that has changed the past week was the plants being outside for a period of time. Oddly, the Blushing beauties (not pictured) that had the exact same experience as the ones above were not affected at all. A friend and fellow hot pepper member who I spoke with and explained what was going on but has not seen them yet thought it might be 'sunburn' which is something I was not aware plants could get, and if that was the problem, then why were the blushing beautys not affected? They are all now back inside in their south facing window until further notice. Can anyone please shed some light on what may be causing this? :banghead:

SUNBURN
Description:
Plants can be damaged from too much exposure to sunlight, if they are suddenly relocated from low light to high light. Indoor or porch plants moved directly outdoors in the spring or summer are especially vulnerable. Sunburn results when light and heat break down chlorophyll.

Symptoms:
P1ants develop faded yellowish white, yellow, pale green, or brown leaves on the section of the plant facing the sun. Leaves may become brittle. Growth may be poor.

Control:
Move plants suffering from too much sun to a shadier spot. Water well after moving; prune off badly damaged leaves to improve the plant's appearance.

LEAF SCORCH
Description:
Anything that disrupts the balance between water input and water output (transpiration) can cause leaf scorch. The leaves dehydrate and may die if the water intake is less that the amount the plant releases or transpires. Drying wind, the combination of drought and high temperatures, and too much sun increase water loss. When water balance is disrupted, the greatest loss usually occurs at leaf margins and at leaf tips, by browning. Flowering dogwoods are especially sensitive to leaf scorch.

Symptoms:
Browning leaf margins are the primary symptom. .. Entire leaves may wilt. Damage usually occurs first on newer leaves. On trees, the damage is most severe on youngest branches, with many leaves dropping during late summer. Trees do not usually die from leaf scorch.

Control:
Leaves damaged by leaf scorch do not recover. Proper watering reduces further damage, as does adding mulch and providing shade.

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess it does seem like sunburn. Why do you think though that my blushing beauty seelings were completely unaffected even though had the same experience as the affected ones? PRF, should I still water the affected plants even if their soil is still moist from their last watering?

Don't give them anymore water till the dry out is always the best bet with peppers. The leaves that are sunburnt will not recover but I wouldn't cut the off just yet. Seedlings don't have the big leaves that are accustomed to low light levels yet.

Jbeer:
I had my peppers out sunbathing today also. They got about 3 to 4 hours of sunny 65 degree weather. I just checked and it looks like a couple got sunburned like yours. The areas that are discolored are kind of a greyish color and as of right now, the areas feel kind of mushy and not crisp like the green parts of the leaves and other unaffected leaves. I dont think it will do any lasting harm but I guess I better go it a bit slower on my hardening off process. Either that or I am gonna have to get some SPF30. :)

Should be a day to get them out tomorrow again but I guess I will go with straight shade. This hardening process is killing me. I dont get a lot of nice days so when I do, I try to maximize my efforts. It is a pain moving these suckers in and out every time.

pepperpikker - yeah, the hardening off process is just that, a process. I am learning to slow down quite a bit on my hardening off as well. Just like you in sconny, we don't get a lot of nice days either, especially this time of year, and I guess I just got jumpy and thought that I was breaking them in nicely and thought 'what the heck, a nice sunny day like today should do them good' but obviously did too much too fast. I am thinking that the SPF30 might be a good idea :cheers:

jbeer32, I had the same thing happen to a Doughlah and a 7 Pot Brain a month ago when I thought the little guys might want a few days in the sunshine for a change. Some of the leaves looked exactly like yours after I sunburned them. I am happy to say they recovered after returning them to the lights.

I planted out a few this weekend w/o hardening them off - its been raining for over a week now - Saturday was beautiful so I planted a bunch out and have the same experience - I should have known - :banghead: How did your plants recover?

Back