• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown Scorpion Variety Found

Found this one today, and from my research it looks like some variety of scorpion pepper. I'm not confident on which one it is, so if anyone could help me out that'd be great! It sure looks just like the Butch T, but would like some confirmation.
P1030407.JPG

Also pics of the cut open pod, as well as the plant and its habit, along with it's flowers (open if possible) would help greatly in identification.

I bought it from a vendor here in Africa who was selling various peppers, so I don't know what the plant looked like that it grew on. I will post pictures of the pod cut open though. I also bought two others that were a little less developed than this one, and those really looked like all the pictures of Butch T's I see online.

We do have lots of peppers from the Caribbean region that got here somehow (Scotch Bonnets, Red Habaneros, etc) so it wouldn't surprise me if this was another pepper from that area.

Here's what the pepper looked like cut open. I ate half of it and it had a dominant floral taste, with a bitter-tangy edge. It was also very hot, but if it's a Butch T I would assume it was on the lower end of the range.
20190402_154210.jpg

I'm sorry to keep asking about the identification of different peppers, but I was cutting up this one today and noticed it was different. Tried just the tiniest portion and it was horrific; like I ate an entire Caribbean Habanero. Also when this one was cut open it had the characteristic membrane all over the walls. Any clue on what this could be?
20190403_172214.jpg

floricole said:
Capsaicinoid vesicles are seen on the interior wall of a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion chile pepper.
https://newscenter.nmsu.edu/Articles/view/11668/nmsu-researchers-investigate-how-super-hot-peppers-pack-their-powerful-punch

I wanted to send an "ATTABOY" (See below.) to floricole for that link. if you click on the pic with arrows it opens a larger JPG that if you wave your cursor over a + magnifying glass appears, click again and it vividly shows the "oil" so many here have mentioned in posts of cut open super hots.

attaboy_certificate-r9e34135c2598423bb872b1b48e424a31_ken53_8byvr_540.jpg

Rajun suggested that my first peppers posted here could quite possibly be sunrise scorpions, and after looking at pictures I'm inclined to agree. The general shape, flavor, and heat all sound about right.

Still not sure what the second pepper is, but it definitely bears some resemblance to the ordinary trinidad scorpion.

It is very difficult to give a 100% positive ID just based on the phenotypes of those peppers. They do appear to be superhots, possibly Scorpions of some kind, but then again there are plenty of superhot varieties that can produce pods that resemble the ones in your pictures. You seem to be trying to get positive IDs based on relatively minor variations in phenotype, such as having a somewhat longer or shorter tail, but remember that variations like that can occur even on the same plant. I have seen more dramatic variations than these on the same plant before. And then there is the possibility that one or all of them may not even be a pure strain, but some kind of cross.

OTOH, if you really think that these are Sunrise Scorpions, then growing them out should help ID them. Sunrise Scorpion peppers have the distinctive trait of growing upright on the plant, rather than hanging pendant like other Scorpions and most other superhots do.

Reactions: TRM
BlackFatalii said:
It is very difficult to give a 100% positive ID just based on the phenotypes of those peppers. They do appear to be superhots, possibly Scorpions of some kind, but then again there are plenty of superhot varieties that can produce pods that resemble the ones in your pictures. You seem to be trying to get positive IDs based on relatively minor variations in phenotype, such as having a somewhat longer or shorter tail, but remember that variations like that can occur even on the same plant. I have seen more dramatic variations than these on the same plant before. And then there is the possibility that one or all of them may not even be a pure strain, but some kind of cross.

OTOH, if you really think that these are Sunrise Scorpions, then growing them out should help ID them. Sunrise Scorpion peppers have the distinctive trait of growing upright on the plant, rather than hanging pendant like other Scorpions and most other superhots do.
I agree, there is no way to identify it positively, with there being so many crosses and different strains. I've only gotten into peppers recently and being a curious guy, I like to at least try to identify every pepper I come across. The only thing I'm pretty sure on these peppers is that they're probably some form of scorpion. Thanks to all those who helped me come to that conclusion!

Back