• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

unknown Thai pepper

So I go in to order food at my fave Thai restaurant this afternoon and the sweet young man that orders all their produce asks me if I know anyone that he can buy his peppers from.

I ask him what kind and all he knows is they come from the Atlanta area and they order them as "hot Chile peppers" Guess his supplier is not   getting this type any more and he is looking to find a new place to buy them.

Question is, what are they actually? He gave me a frozen one, and yes the silly person in me will try to salvage seed, but what are they?

He was so cute, did not want me to touch it cause it was to "spicy" 

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_1655208591.jpg
    IMG_20160107_1655208591.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 99
Wow, yet another type of pepper I did not know had so many varieties. 
Even if I manage to get the seeds to grow, it looks like finding a name on these is gonna be impossible.
I know I can not grow the volume he needs regardless.

CheriLBW said:
Wow, yet another type of pepper I did not know had so many varieties. 
Even if I manage to get the seeds to grow, it looks like finding a name on these is gonna be impossible.
I know I can not grow the volume he needs regardless.
Oh that is only the 15 I use in my blend but I grow around 20 +

CheriLBW said:
Well he seems to think they are very stupid hot. I hate to tell him that they do not hold a candle to the really hot ones I have tasted
If he thinks it is wicked hot then if really a Thai he can't handle heat, the Thai Orange and Yellow hold the most heat from the 25 I have grown and rated. :)

I floored our local Asian store with my Tri-Thai powder ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If he thinks it is wicked hot then if really a Thai he can't handle heat, the Thai Orange and Yellow hold the most heat from the 25 I have grown and rated. :)

I floored our local Asian store with my Tri-Thai powder ;)

I will try it when I get home this evening and see just how hot it is.  I do not want to do it here cause , well it is a jewelry repair shop, not the cleanest place to cut a pepper:)

CheriLBW said:
OMG. So funny, This has been in vinegar, and it is not at all hot.
He is going to die if I take him these I have here lol
Take him a Ghost! or Reaper! or a 7Pot!!! lol

But be like he was... "now be careful touching this one... its a bit hotter than you might be used to. when you eat it, try just a little tiny bit". If you aren't careful you'll goad him into tossing the entire thing in his mouth.

I am going to take him some of my Piri Piru,the only ones I have fresh of my own right now.
I will also take one of those sweet looking yellow ones, can't be that hot to someone used to Thai cooking right?

A few years back I was eating some 5 star Thai food mostly noodles shrimp hot Thai peppers and veggies the 5 star symbol was supposedly the hottest which it wasn't I ended up doctoring it up with some Bhut /Trinidad, 7 pod powder one of the servers saw me doing it and asked what it was, so I gave him some to try, I always have enough to give away some. Any way He tried some after which he disappeared and didn't see him till I was done, despite the fact that I only let him try a small amount he looked like he had been hit in the face with a wet sock several times.
He told me his mouth was still completely on fire and that he never had tasted anything that hot.
Sorry I just had to throw this into the posting.  

Thai Sun is one you can generally find at walmart or home depot. At least that was where I got mine from. I've since gave away all the seeds for it.

Its a tiny one though for sure. Even the plant. It would be great for someone with limited space on their porch, or in a window perhaps. Mine grew to be about 8inches tall, and about 10 in diameter. The year I grew those they were my mothers favorite pepper. She'd pop them in her mouth like candy while she helped me weed, or harvest.

They have kind of an earthy cayenne taste, with LOTS of seeds for its size. those things just come chalk full of seeds.

Back