• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review *Unofficial* Bigfat's 6o8 Review

I am not a reviewer. That said, here is my review of Bigfat's 6o8 pineapple Habanero hot sauce.

Tonight was a frozen burrito night. Hey, don't judge - it ain't champagne & caviar every day. Costco El Monterrey shredded beef and jack cheese burritos. Thought it was the perfect canvas to really give the Bigfat's 6o8 a try. It's been warm here, so I've kept it in the fridge, thus the condensation.

559276_10151067710180340_2093458907_n.jpg

Ingredients: Water, pineapple juice concentrate, Habanero Peppers, garlic, cilantro, lime juice concentrate, sea salt, xanthan gum. "no artificial additives or preservatives".

Opened it up and it has an unmistakable fruitiness to the smell. It's a warm, sweet scent but not overpoweringly sweet - you can also get hints of garlic and spices - it's a great smell, comparable to a jerk-style scent.

It pours very smooth with a fine grind - have to watch it or risk of O.P.ing, but honestly, there's no such thing with this sauce - just depends on your tolerance for heat.

It has a consistency of a fine puree, like a pepper smoothie - maybe slightly thinner. The little chunks of peppers and bits of cilantro (I think) add to the texture in a very pleasing way.

It looks like this:

306336_10151067708490340_1356150144_n.jpg

Now for taste - on it's own it's very flavorful, but slightly sweet - but that doesn't last long as the heat kicks in pretty quickly and balances it out in a hurry. I can tell already that this is a sauce I'll enjoy on food. So away to the burrito I went...because of the warmth of the spoonful, I opted for a Negra Modelo:

551122_10151067707385340_29237119_n.jpg

With the food it changes significantly - the sweetness becomes a footnote in a really pleasing blend of flavors, complimenting the meat and cheese without drowning it out at all. The heat builds substantially with every bite. Lips burning. I think 6 is a good heat rating, but as you eat more it creeps up to a 6.5 - maybe even a 7 or 7.5.

I get the naming scheme of the sauces and think it's a fantastically cool way to label sauces, but this sauce could easily be rated a bit higher than 6 for heat - especially as you eat more. I poured a second dose after I tried a bite and after eating the whole burrito I was lit up pretty good. Sweating slightly and nice mouth/lip burn. The pineapple undertones linger for a few mins too, which is great as it just keeps reminding you to go back for more. It's that delicious that even while burning up I was mopping up the stuff from the plate with my bite of burrito.

I've said before I don't really give "overall ratings" but I'll say this: Bigfat's 6o8 is a sauce I really enjoyed. It really has it all in a versatile and flavorful hot sauce. They say they're all about flavor which I love and I believe it. The balance is there too, as it's quite hot, and yet still has outstanding flavor.

Bottom line: 6o8 is unique and tasty and I'd highly recommend it to anyone from a moderate to chili-head level. It's an "every day" sauce, and I could see it being pretty versatile. I'd gladly use it on chicken, fish, steak (depending on the rub/seasoning) anything teryaki, Asian-fusion or on sushi (would be spectacular in a teka-maki or spicy tuna roll) but it's certainly not pigeon-holed into any one style as it compliments Mexican just as well. Pizza would be a slam dunk.

Great sauce - I'd suggest getting some to add to your condiment collection today. It's an elixir that's worth every penny. I'm thankful to Bigfat's for the great product and excellent customer service - made my night. I'm a fan! :cheers:

Buy it here: http://www.bigfatshotsauce.com/ :dance:

Thanks so much Scott! Great write up. I've had the 6o8 on all kinds of seafood but I love the idea of having it on sushi. Guess I know what I'll be eating for dinner (although that burrito got me thinking :)).

Just had the last of this bottle on a pulled pork sammich tonight and it was truly epic. Really enjoyed this bottle - continues to be highly recommended! 
:cheers: 

Back