• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Unstable strains"

What does this mean? I hear that the chocolate Bhutlah is an unstable strain, for instance. Does it blow up if you mix it up or something, lol?

I am guessing that they are not very reliable growers?

[SIZE=medium]Unstable strains are strains that have not been fully crossed and are unstable. Example: I cross a Brainstrain with a Morich the 1st year it is a F1 and not stable. I then have to keep breeding those 2-4 back and forth every year until I get all the pods with the same characteristics. If you have a greenhouse and can grow all year then the time is shortened maybe 5 years or 10 crosses. Most take 10 years. As far as BREEDING anything goes (plant wise) these days ,it takes several seasons in isolation (8 minimum) to see what you have as far as stability goes. 8 seasons is IF it grew stable and needed no back crossing etc. Breeding takes a LOT of work but it’s fun to play with.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f1 0%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f2 50%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f3 75%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f4 87.5%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f5 93.7%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f6 96.8%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f7 98.5%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f8 99.2%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f9 99.6%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f10 99.8%[/SIZE]

Okay so think of it like children you have brown eyes your wife has blue eyes your kids have brown eyes then your kid has has kids with a girl with brown eyes and randomly that kid has blue eyes it was because the genetics weren't fully stable to the point where it was a good bet that brown eyes would be the trait that would be seen.
Peppers are the same you have grow out and choose through all the wrong phenotypes to get to the point where it will grow the right pepper consistently.

I used to breed snakes (mostly ball pythons) so I get the genetics thing. Great info though, I did not know that it applied the same way with plants

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
[SIZE=medium]Unstable strains are strains that have not been fully crossed and are unstable. Example: I cross a Brainstrain with a Morich the 1st year it is a F1 and not stable. I then have to keep breeding those 2-4 back and forth every year until I get all the pods with the same characteristics. If you have a greenhouse and can grow all year then the time is shortened maybe 5 years or 10 crosses. Most take 10 years. As far as BREEDING anything goes (plant wise) these days ,it takes several seasons in isolation (8 minimum) to see what you have as far as stability goes. 8 seasons is IF it grew stable and needed no back crossing etc. Breeding takes a LOT of work but it’s fun to play with.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f1 0%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f2 50%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f3 75%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f4 87.5%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f5 93.7%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f6 96.8%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f7 98.5%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f8 99.2%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f9 99.6%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]f10 99.8%[/SIZE]
Some one correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the first part of this is right at all.  Every time you breed two varieties the resulting seeds will be F1, plain and simple. 

To play on generations and breed correctly, you cross two varieties, the seeds that result from that cross would be F1.  You grow those F1 seeds out, when the plants mature, pick the pod in which you hope to carry on the look of.  Seeds from that pod are F2.  Grow those out, look for pods of the same characteristics, harvest seed(F3)/  So on and so forth.  By the time you reach F8 you're hoping to have pods that are mostly those characteristics. 
To answer your question an easy way. Unstable means just that.  You grow it out and you won't know what you're going to get.  Some pods could look like they're suppose, while others will result back to looking like each of the parents, and you may get some that look totally different all together

Correct like with Bubblegum 7 it's not stable yet. You select the ones with the red that bleeds up the stem and grow seeds from those pods. Hopefully by doing this eventually every pod in future generations will be true to form. Even stable strains throw off pods every once in a while but most of the time they grow true.

rebelgrower3 said:
Correct like with Bubblegum 7 it's not stable yet. You select the ones with the red that bleeds up the stem and grow seeds from those pods. Hopefully by doing this eventually every pod in future generations will be true to form. Even stable strains throw off pods every once in a while but most of the time they grow true.
I gotta be honest, I have never seen the bubblegum7 pods till just now. I must get some seeds! lol

Those look CRAZY!

Back