• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

unusual ingredients

i was pondering the use of 'interesting' ingredients and (rather embarrasingly) gushing over kato sauces' use of cilantro and curry in another post, and i saw another FL sauce that had clam juice as an ingredient (tahiti joes), and they also had something made with apple butter which sounds awfully good. (i haven't tried any tahiti joes yet, but plan on it)

a while back, i got into a peri-peri phase (piri piri?) just from trying 'brother bru bru' sauce during a firehouse subs visit. (firehouse subs is a chain sandwich place that features people's hot sauces for the patrons to use, if y'all sell sauces you might want to look them up) not sure exactly what was in it but it was different, and pretty hot too.

anyone else have any sauces that they love (or maybe even hate :D ) with unusual or "interesting" ingredients??

datil paddle said:
i was pondering the use of 'interesting' ingredients and (rather embarrasingly) gushing over kato sauces' use of cilantro and curry in another post, and i saw another FL sauce that had clam juice as an ingredient (tahiti joes), and they also had something made with apple butter which sounds awfully good. (i haven't tried any tahiti joes yet, but plan on it)

a while back, i got into a peri-peri phase (piri piri?) just from trying 'brother bru bru' sauce during a firehouse subs visit. (firehouse subs is a chain sandwich place that features people's hot sauces for the patrons to use, if y'all sell sauces you might want to look them up) not sure exactly what was in it but it was different, and pretty hot too.

anyone else have any sauces that they love (or maybe even hate :D ) with unusual or "interesting" ingredients??

Endorhin Rush uses molasses. This is an extremely hot sauce (it's an extract sauce) but the molasses goes a long way in masking that chemical taste that extract adds. Let me think about it for a while, and I'll get back to you. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I've encountered another hot sauce with molasses in it.

staffing said:
datil paddle said:

Endorhin Rush uses molasses. This is an extremely hot sauce (it's an extract sauce) but the molasses goes a long way in masking that chemical taste that extract adds. Let me think about it for a while, and I'll get back to you. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I've encountered another hot sauce with molasses in it.

That's because you haven't tried our Bite Me Gently BBQ Sauce, our Bite Me Special Reserve BBQ sauce, our Thai Satay Sauce or our Cajun Morel Chardonnay Reduction. They all have molasses in them.

T.

anyone else have any sauces that they love (or maybe even hate :) ) with unusual or "interesting" ingredients??[/quote]

How about roasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds

May sound strange but tastes good

Pumpkin seeds have the ability to neturalize heat. last night I made a mango sauce with roasted green pumpkin seeds, lime juice and habanero. It's got a good habanero flavor but is fairly mild.

This was by request...for my wife. She doesn't like the heat like I do!

chuk hell said:
Pumpkin seeds have the ability to neturalize heat. last night I made a mango sauce with roasted green pumpkin seeds, lime juice and habanero. It's got a good habanero flavor but is fairly mild.

This was by request...for my wife. She doesn't like the heat like I do!

We're going to have to learn her to like the heat. :lol:

T

Back