• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Up, up and away.

Seeing as I've never grown from seed I thought I'd have a bit of a trial run. Planted 8 Jalapenos on 21 May and by 28 May all had sprouted. Also planted 4 Afghan Long on 25 May but still waiting on them to germinate. I got my hands on some reflective insulation so I've lined a wardrobe with it. Didn't quite have enough so I'll need to get some more to finish it off but here are some pics anyway:

growcloset001.jpg

growcloset004.jpg

growcloset002.jpg

growcloset003.jpg

It's a bit of a dodgy set up for now but I'll be making up some shelving to fit the wardrobe before I start the rest of my seeds.

This one's a 100w energy saver, equivelant to a 500w globe. Lit up the front yard through the blinds at night before I put it in the wardrobe. I'd have the police at the door in no time if I left it there...

SeeYouJimmy said:
This one's a 100w energy saver, equivelant to a 500w globe. Lit up the front yard through the blinds at night before I put it in the wardrobe. I'd have the police at the door in no time if I left it there...

Haha yea, it pretty much illuminates the entire top level of my house if i leave the bedroom door open :mouthonfire: need to get me a grow tent to complete the pot grower look :P

Omri said:
100W? you'd better off using MH for that much wattage.

I went with big wattage CFL for starting my peppers because it puts out a lot less heat, and no messing around with ballasts. Also 42W CFLs are quite expensive here at hardware stores, so it's not a lot more getting a bit wattage proper grow light CFL from ebay

Might want to put a reflector or something reflective above the bulb. That way your not wasting half your lumens on your ceiling.

You may want to remove the lid on your mini greenhouse and get the plants closer to the light. They're already starting to get a little leggy.

Good luck with the growing!

Omri said:
100W? you'd better off using MH for that much wattage.

Thanks, I'ts all new to me, that's what the hydro shop recommended. All advice appreciated.

UnNatural said:
Might want to put a reflector or something reflective above the bulb. That way your not wasting half your lumens on your ceiling.

I do have the insulation underneath the wardrobe shelf but I need another roll to finish the job.

patrick said:
You may want to remove the lid on your mini greenhouse and get the plants closer to the light. They're already starting to get a little leggy.

Good luck with the growing!

Thanks. I was going to wait for the Afghans to germinate before taking lid off but I guess it won't hurt.

Cheers all.

Update

The Jalapenos I started are coming along quite well now. I screwed up and didn't get the light on them soon enough and they were quite leggy
but I buried quite a bit of the stems when I potted them up and they're looking much better.
The 2 red pots are Afghan Long:

GrowLog1879004.jpg

Canopy shot:

GrowLog1879005.jpg

I have so far germinated:
2/7 Afghan Long
0/6 Aji Lemon
0/7 Anaheim
2/6 Bih Jolokia
1/6 Choc Hab
4/4 Dorset Naga
1/7 Fatali
8/8 Jalapeno
0/5 Orange Hab
0/7 Red Savina
0/7 Scotch Bonnet
1/7 Serrano
0/5 Tabasco
2/4 Trinidad Scorpion
3/4 7 Pot Yellow
2/5 7 Pot Jonah

Not the best strike rate but hey, I can be patient. Here's the rest:

Edit: 40 of the above were only sown this week so germ rate is not as bad as it looks.

GrowLog1879003.jpg

GrowLog1879002.jpg

Cont.....

I've changed to Aquarium lights and they seem to grow better under these, 2 Aqua-Glo and 2 Power-Glo.
Things are getting a bit squeezy so I'll be getting more for the bottom shelf:

GrowLog1879001.jpg

Ran out of phone books so the box will have to do for now, hmmm, maybe I just need to empty a few more boxes.....

Anyway I'm learning as I go which is why I started the Jalapenos so early, so hopefully things can only get better from here.

Cheers.

Thanks Potawie. The weather should be good enough in about 6 to 8 weeks to get these plants outside. Most will go in the soil but I'll keep at least 1 of each variety in pots so I can isolate for seeds. The larger ones were planted early as a bit of a trial run so if they get too big I have a small portable greenhouse I can put them in. If I'm expecting a cold night I can bring them if need be. I'm still waiting on a heap of them to germinate though so I might have to rethink my setup for next year so I can plant them all early.

It's been a cracker of a day in the winter wonderland of Melbourne. The birds are singing and the sun is splitting the pavement so I
let my plants soak up some rays while I potted up some more seedlings. Group photo everyone, say CHEESE.

889005.jpg

So far I have 5 Fatali, 3 Serrano, 8 Jalapeno, 3 Afghan Long, 1 Tabasco, 1 Scotch Bonnet, 2 Trinidad Scorpion,
3 Bih Jolokia, 4 Dorset Naga, 4 Choc Hab, 3 Yellow 7Pot and 2 Jonah 7Pot. Another Trinidad Scorpion reared it's head
yesterday but I didn't want to risk potting it up so early. They're all looking very healthy so I'm quite happy with my progress so far.

Cheers.

Back