update from #226 Pepper Joe topic

I had said I would have to update in another topic, I didn’t realize that the statement would be prophetic. Anyway, I said that I had 1 white Hab germinate and would update on what it turned out to be.

It is habanero, it is white/creme colored but the 4 pods I have* are all about 2-3 times the size of a sweet pea and very seedy. They look like little white bird peppers. The seeds were very hard so I am assuming they were mature pods. I may remove the remaining pods and throw up a pic next to a dime sometime tomorrow.

They definitely have some heat. What’s strange is they have given me the hiccups for about 10 minutes so far.

*many flowers succumbed to the aphid infestation and never set.

Plants under stress can produce very small pods that look nothing like the mother. Like a  last gasp at beating mother nature. 

That is what I was expecting from them, and that's what I got.... pepperjoe told me they were of Peruvian descent, not that they were specifically peruvian white habs.... but they grew the same as peruvian whites from another vendor....
And his seed grew a healthier, but smaller plant than the other vendor....

Here is the remaining trio.

White Habaneros.jpg

Had no issues with them growing, tons of pods once they get going.... grew mine in 2 gallon pots, at one time I counted 40 pods before I lost count....

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If the are the Peruvian white habs full grown they are only about the size of a thumb nail and have plenty of seeds. 
I just stripped 14 seeds from one of these.

I didn't notice before because I just popped one in my mouth without cutting it open first but, these pods have a very strong lemon zest aroma. Interestingly, I think I have smelled this same fragrance before from another white pod not of the same variety.

Back